How many football grounds have you been to?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Thinking of stadiums I have been to.
I remember the coldest I have ever been at a football match in the UK was at Stoke's Britannia Ground.
For those that haven't been there, the stadium is perched up on a hill and the away end is next to one of the corners which is open to the elements.
Jeebus effin wept.. The wind just whips in from the gap and one game I remember in particular it was so bloody cold that my hot coffee froze.

The away end at St James Park is so far up in the gods that you had better not have a heart condition before you embark on the never ending stairs to get to your seat.

Stoke is a very cold ground - my mate is a Potter and we went there to watch them play Chelsea about half a dozen times whilst they were in the top flight. The wind blows a right hoolie through the gap.

St James Park is one of our favourites with the almost aerial views. Friendly fans too.

Our coldest ever match was at Burnley vs Chelsea a couple of seasons back in Feb 2017 when light snow was falling - knees and feet were aching like crazy by half time. And they had run out of hot pies by the time we worked our way to the front of the crush at the interval. :wacko: All the players looked miserable as sin too. Miserable journey home as we as we played much better than the 1-1 result suggested but Burnley were in full hack them down mode all game.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Ewood Park (Blackburn - vs MUFC)
Anfield (Liverpool - vs Chelsea)
The Dell - Southampton
The Vitality - Bournemouth
Wenbley old and new
The Emirates - Arsenal
St Jame's Park - Newcastle
Selhurst Park - Cristal Palace
Neu Camp - Barcelona
Estadio Nacional - Chile

PaulB

Legendary Member
Stoke is a very cold ground - my mate is a Potter and we went there to watch them play Chelsea about half a dozen times whilst they were in the top flight. The wind blows a right hoolie through the gap.

St James Park is one of our favourites with the almost aerial views. Friendly fans too.

Our coldest ever match was at Burnley vs Chelsea a couple of seasons back in Feb 2017 when light snow was falling - knees and feet were aching like crazy by half time. And they had run out of hot pies by the time we worked our way to the front of the crush at the interval. :wacko: All the players looked miserable as sin too. Miserable journey home as we as we played much better than the 1-1 result suggested but Burnley were in full hack them down mode all game.

I very much agree with you about Stoke, their ground made worse by the lack of pubs (there's one) within what any reasonable person would regard as 'walking distance'

About Newcastle's ground though, I very much disagree with you. The fact you couldn't avoid the term 'aerial views' is what makes the place a mockery of a stadium. From where the away fans are perched, you get a better view of the Metro Centre. My son once joked he couldn't tell who'd scored for us between Michael Owen and Emile Heskey, we were that far away! You'd have needed the telescope from Jodrell Bank to see what was happening on the pitch. Newcastle's was the first away ground we stopped going to because of the effort to get there versus the pleasure in watching the game.

While you might have to give a nod to Burnley's continued survival in the Premier League, Turf Moor is played on by hackers determined to even up their lack of ability by injuring their superior opponents at every conceivable opportunity and the sooner this stadium is replaced in the big league, the better for me.

Salar

A fish out of water
A few years go in a working capacity usually with Sky visited all of the Premier grounds and a few Championship grounds.

Some of those roofs are high when you get up on them, particularly Man Utds.

At the time I considered Chelsea's ground the best and the old Spurs ground awful.

I sometimes got a guided tour of the trophy rooms, the pitch and the posh boxes.

Lozz360

Veteran
I forgot Glossop North End*

*the smallest town to have ever had a team in the top flight of English football
I didn't believe that when I read it. I thought Burnley had that honour. However, according to Wikepedia, "At the turn of the 20th century, Glossop (North End) played in the Football League First Division, the highest level of English football, for a single season."

brucers

Guru
At one point I had done the 92. So including most of the big European grounds and some small ones, well over a 100. Of the original grounds from when I started, I never made the Old Showground Scunthorpe. Ironically, I now live in Scunny.

gavgav

Guru
Heading towards 100 following Shrewsbury Town for 30 years. Quite a number of them are no more, probably housing estates now.

Unfortunately that includes Wembley 5 times and we’ve lost every time!

postman

Legendary Member
Wembley 1968.
Liverpool
Man Utd
Sheff Utd
Burnley
Aston Villa,Chelsea Semi Final We were robbed.
Leeds Utd ha ha
Sheff Weds
Preston N E
Notts Forest
Middlesborough
Huddersfield
Blackpool.

Got to say these were from 1965 to 1974 Preston a lot later i married a Preston gal.Well Goosnargh a small place outside Preston.

View: https://youtu.be/Jtd06XXkLnA

COPY

Quite a few after years of supporting Motherwell FC, following the Scottish national and working in various places around the UK and Europe....

Scotland:

Fir Park
Douglas Park
Hampden
Ibrox
Parkhead
Easter Road
Tynecastle
Pittodrie
Dens Park
Tannadice
McDairmid Park
Love Street
St. Mirren Stadium
Rugby Park
Cappielow
Firhill
Palmerston
East End Park
Brockville
Gayfield
Starks Park
Glebe Park
Station Park
Balmoor
Victoria Park
Caledonian Stadium
Harlaw Park
Bayview Stadium
Somerset Park
Stair Park

England

Goodison
Old Trafford
Maine Road
Highbury
Craven Cottage
Molyneaux
St James Park
Deepdale
DW Stadium
Stadium of Light
Riverside Stadium
Wembley (Old)
Brunton Park
City Ground
Elland Road
Bloomfield Park
Blackwell Meadows
Ashton Gate
Hillsborough
Glanford Park
Villa Park
St Andrews
Pride Park
Ewood Park

Spain

Camp Nou
Bernabau
Estadi Ciutat de Valencia

Netherlands

De Kuip
Rat Verlegh Stadion
Stadion Galgenwaard
Het Kasteel
Koning Willem II Stadion

France

Parc de Princes
Parc des Sports du Pont d'Essey
Stade Geoffroy Guichard

Poland

Stadion GKS Katowice (only for 45 minutes)

Italy

Stadio Luigi Ferraris
Stadio delle Alpi

Germany

Veltins Arena
Merkur Spiel Arena

South Korea

Ulsan Munsu Stadium

Singapore

Jurong East Stadium
National Stadium

Portugal

Estadio da Luz

Sweden

Ullevi Stadium
Idrottsparken

Greece

Olympic Stadium, Athens

This evening's quiz is to name the teams that play at each stadium :smile:

Just remembered another few

Brockville
Falkirk Stadium
Broadwood
Boghead
Meadowbank Stadium
Almondvale or as its known as now The Tony Macaroni Arena

Chromatic

Legendary Member

Three in the late sixties/early seventies which were:
Swindon, to watch Swindon v Blackpool in a promotion to the old first division decider. Blackpool got promoted if I remember correctly.
The Hawthorns to watch WBA v the mighty Leeds ( 2-2 again IIRC)
Villa park to watch Aston Villa, can't remember who they played, a friends dad who was a Villa fan took us.

One in the 80s sometime, maybe early 90s, which was:
Meadow Park, to watch Gloucester City play Forest Green Rovers in a cup match, the FA cup I think. Gloucester won, either 7-1 or 7-0, can't remember which. How times change.

Also been to Ashton Gate to watch Gloucester play Bristol at rugby.

Last edited:

MarkF

Guru
While you might have to give a nod to Burnley's continued survival in the Premier League, Turf Moor is played on by hackers determined to even up their lack of ability by injuring their superior opponents at every conceivable opportunity and the sooner this stadium is replaced in the big league, the better for me.

Catmuck. The top 6 enjoy huge advantages over the other teams, particularly the ones who's pre-season aim is to stay in the PL.

They can't play your game against you and you know it, they aren't in the PL to please fans of the top 6 foreign owned brands/businesses (aka clubs).

steven1988

Veteran
As a sheffield united Fan:

Rotherham
Doncaster
Bradford
Swindon
Forest
Derby
Burton
Notts County
Stoke
Wolves
Aston Villa
Wembley
Millennium Stadium

Edited as i missed
Old Trafford

Mr Celine

Discordian
Knock Knock
Who's there?
Wendy
Wendy who?
Oh Wendy Saints, go marching in....

Muirton Park
McDiarmid Park
Dens Park
Tannadice
East End Park
Starks Park
Central Park
Pittodrie
Tynecastle Park
Easter Road
Meadowbank
Shielfield
Brockville
Broomfield
Fir Park
Somerset Park
Rugby Park
Boghead
Love Street
Firhill
Hampden Park
Ibrox
Celtic Park

stephec

Legendary Member
Rather than just guess I thought I'd have a proper count up, seems my estimate was wrong, I've done 39 English league grounds.

Venod

Eh up
Elland Road a few times is the only one I can think of and one of those was to watch Rugby League, I have been to more Rugby grounds.

Last edited:
Top Bottom