How many layers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jashburnham

2 layers is always enough for London in the winter. For the weekends training ride i wore:

Castelli Destino Winter Jersey
Castelli Skullcap
Castelli "Rosso Corsa" Solo windstopper jacket
Castelli "Rosso Corsa" Nano gloves (currently £22 on Wiggle and they are excellent)
Castelli "Rosso Corsa" Cardio bibtights
Castelli "Rosso Corsa" Socks
Castelli "Rosso Corsa" Pioggia Shoecovers

Yes yes I like Castelli stuff, but I was nice and toasty! It does the job.

OP
OP
wafflycat

wafflycat

Bigtallfatbloke said:
wicking t shoots x 2

Oh dear. Vindaloo last night?

;)

mondobongo

Über Member
Merino wool base layer
Water/Windproof Jacket
Padded shorts
Bikesters or long tights
Winter gloves
Buff to cover ears for when I ride home at 4am when its really cold.

OP
OP
wafflycat

wafflycat

I ended up wearing:-

bra
windproof base layer
arm warmers
long-sleeved top
fleece
waterproof jacket
buff
headband
lid
two pairs of socks
padded cycle shorts
legwarmers
Bikesters
winter boots
winter waterproof/windproof gloves

It did the trick

Went out on the 'bent. On the way into town, cycled past local primary school at playtime. Cue kids stopping what they are doing in the playground as they spot odd cycle... lots of waves, points, smiles...
On the way back, I cycled by said school at lunchtime, when some aprents were collecting their kids. Cue much waving, smiling... Riding a 'bent trike is sooooo much fun!

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
dHb bib tights
Polaris long-sleeved top
buff
hi-viz/reflective waistcoat.

That's my winter gear - any more than that and I'd have melted in a big puddle of sweat by the time I got here. That's one of the benefits of being a human hot-water bottle - don't need piles of winter gear or layers, even in the Scottish winter.

wafflycat said:
Went out on the 'bent.

Now here's a question. This is a slight hijack so feel free to ignore me. Riding a recumbent trike must be very stable. There's a bloke who lives near me who has a recumbent and just looks extremely wobbly when riding it - like he's about to topple over. Is it supposed to be like that or is he still getting the hang of it?

OP
OP
wafflycat

wafflycat

My ICE T is very stable. On slippy roads it's my steed of choice.

This is what mine is like (but the one shown is not mine):-

IceT.jpg

Mac66

I like to think that I'm in touch with my feminie side and use all the gear, but I haven't found a use for a bra as a piece of cycle clothing yet.

Ear muffs?

Skull cap, dhb longs, base vest, arm warmers, short sleeve top, Aldi socks, a pair of one size gloves from the charity shop price 49p under a pair of Night Vision full gloves, helmet, sunglasses and road shoes.
Very comfortable rolling into work - in beautiful sunshine...;)

simonali

Guru
Only cycling kit I had on was shoes, gloves, hat and an old Goretex jacket I've had for many years. Other than that I had on a t shirt, fleece, 3/4 length trousers, pants and trainer socks. That was about half seven and only my hands got cold as my gloves aren't winter ones.

Tynan

Veteran
usually ss top plus nightvision top but that's always been too warm barring the really icy days

LS top plus lightweight gillet has been doing it lately, buff for extra cold days

went with a ss base layer today under the LS top and gillet, slightly too warm

been in bib longs since Sept, dhb, I think they're relatively lightweight

diadora boots and a mid weight pair of PI gloves has been fine, thats for an hour long journey, warm by the end

all about what level of effort you're putting in I'd have thought

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
wafflycat said:
I ended up wearing:-

Went out on the 'bent. On the way into town, cycled past local primary school at playtime. Cue kids stopping what they are doing in the playground as they spot odd cycle... lots of waves, points, smiles...
On the way back, I cycled by said school at lunchtime, when some aprents were collecting their kids. Cue much waving, smiling... Riding a 'bent trike is sooooo much fun!

And now the parents will be burning you in effigy as all the little brats scream, "Mummy, mummy, I want one!" all the way home.

Top Bottom