How many times did you fall using clipless pedals?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Once, single sided pedals, couldn’t get foot in, made mistake of looking down and rode into jutting out pavement/chicane...
Never used single sided pedals again!

Once because a bolt came loose, couldn’t clip out on a hill going up to lights which changed!

I’m back to flat pedals now as not enough bend in knee to pedal clipped in

D

Deleted member 1258

Once, a driver in the queue stalled it, I'd just got clipped in and everything in front of me came to a rapid stop, as did I, but I couldn't get my foot down quick enough and rolled over and down on the pavement.

Three times.

First one, I had a clipless moment the first time I tried to get going on shoes with cleats. (Road shoes. Big mistake to buy them, only wore then once more after that.)

Second one, coming home in the small hours of the morning after a cycling away day in Hampshire. No connection between brain and feet because I was just too tired. Forgot to unclip coming over the railway crossing, already half asleep, and then *SPLAT* - found myself on my arse next to my gate.

Third one. Misjudged stopping at a junction while riding with a backpack full of tomatoes... :whistle:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
None.

One "near miss" where I had my heart in my mouth briefly, I got too close to the car in front in very slow traffic, he stopped quickly, I had to unclip fast and I only just managed to get my foot down in time to stop a fall. Other than that, nothing. It's not as common as you might think.

steverob

Guru
Just the once and it was on the day I got them. Was riding home from the LBS, although I'll admit I wasn't exactly taking a direct route (thought I'd give them a proper test) and the first few miles went swimmingly - got myself used to clipping in and out approaching junctions and was now feeling quite comfortable with it. Then on approaching one roundabout I had to slow down suddenly as a car decided it wanted to turn right but hadn't indicated until the last second. I'd obviously gotten so used to the pedals that I completely forgot I was clipped in and by the time I remembered, my speed was virtually zero and I just slowly toppled sideways onto the grass verge. Picked myself up probably with a bit of a red face and resumed cycling. Last and only time it turns out (that was three and a bit years ago).

Last edited:

Chap sur le velo

Über Member
Tempting fate....

Bought a eBay special last November lockdown and decided to keep the clipless pedals. Had to wait a week for Halfords to send the right sized shoe. The day before they arrived, out on my old bike with toe clips I was very gingerly going through a 'Chicane' on a pedestrian cut through in Islington when a child ran towards me. I started to turn away, was on wet leaves sitting over glazed tiles. I hit the ground before I knew what was what.

Nothing broken but hip still a little sensitive if I exercise on it.

I learnt
A it hurt (big bruise)
B it's gonna happen, and yet I can survive it
C do all I can to prevent it.

I think this served as a wake up call. Have clipped out early and yet to fall with clipless. Nearest was when a security guard at Canary Wharf stepped forward at the last moment to check me out. Was already going slow, but his unexpected movement distracted me and I struggled to release foot as I stopped.

Learning I found I was trying to 'Lift' my foot off. This is wrong and struggling can promote 'panic'.
I've read the best time to in clip is at the bottom of the stroke. I make an effort to get my leg really straight, with the heel possibly even lower than the pedal, and then twisting the foot gives a clean release.

Fingers crossed....

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Three times.

First one, I had a clipless moment the first time I tried to get going on shoes with cleats. (Road shoes. Big mistake to buy them, only wore then once more after that.)

Second one, coming home in the small hours of the morning after a cycling away day in Hampshire. No connection between brain and feet because I was just too tired. Forgot to unclip coming over the railway crossing, already half asleep, and then *SPLAT* - found myself on my arse next to my gate.

Third one. Misjudged stopping at a junction while riding with a backpack full of tomatoes... :whistle:
Hope the tomatoes were all right.

Top Bottom