How many times have you fallen/been knocked off your bike?

How many times have you been knocked off/fallen off?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
First one in 20000 miles 10 days ago, saved up for a good one decked it at 20mph took full impact outer elbow and shot my arm out of the shoulder socket - 20mph to zero in 2 secs Tyre blew in a fastish right hander

My bicep has been like Arnies but a lovely purple

Screenshot 2013-10-11 13.jpg

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Not been knocked off since late 70's. Was left hooked in Sunderland when I was a student.
Fell off coming home from a do with a beer tent a little drunk in the early 80's.

gbb

Legendary Member
If I think about my last roughly 15 years of serious cycling...it goes as follows....
One off, being stupid and trying to bunny hop over a coke can. Can folded round my wheel, reached the brake...instant lock up, straight over the handlebars. No harm done to me or the bike.
One off, approaching a blind crossing for peds, child rode straight out...BANG, straight over the bars, no harm done to either of us luckily.
Two offs in black ice, no warning,...just instantly found myself scraping along the road.
One incident with a bus, tried to intimidate me as I argued with him through the windscreen (static), he nudged bus forward and just tipped me off the bike. I'm sure he didn't set out to tip me off, just intimidate me...but he paid the price for his temper.

Chappy

Guru
Had a good couple off falls in the dockyard they have some old tram rails wwhich are a nightmare if you get caught in them.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
4 times in the 2 years I've been cycling. All of them my fault for not paying due attention to road conditions.
One off just yesterday, back wheel slid on a wet slate like surface, should have known to avoid it.
@potsy you forgot to mention when you fell off because you wanted to imitate @I like Skol :smile:

Once rammed from behind, once wet down on a wet manhole cover:

richard+and+sarahs+009.jpg

and once in France I completely ballsed it up, through a narrow medieval gate I somehow lost balanced or got unclipped and had to lean against a car that was slowly driving through, I had my hand on it taking my weight and had to fend off the car until it went past and I crashed to the ground. The driver got out and asked if I was ok and I just stuttered an apology. Her car was fine but I was really embarrassed that she'd had a cyclist apparently slap her car five times then hurl himself to the ground.

OP
OP
potsy

potsy

Rambler
4 times in the 2 years I've been cycling. All of them my fault for not paying due attention to road conditions.
One off just yesterday, back wheel slid on a wet slate like surface, should have known to avoid it.
@potsy you forgot to mention when you fell off because you wanted to imitate @I like Skol :smile:
Don't believe skolly's editing of the truth Pat, the 2 pics were a lot of miles apart ^_^

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
To the best of my memory I've had 6 proper* falls since starting cycling:
  • Managed to miss the drop-kerb I intended to ride up at speed and came down like a sack of potatoes when aged about 10. I still have the scar from this one.
  • Ended up in a neighbour's rose bush the following year when attempting to jump my brother's bike on a ramp made from a plank and a milk crate.
  • Ended up in a patch of nettles after finding an unexpected 3 foot drop while taking a short cut when I was about 14.
  • Another pavement incident when I started commuting. It seems that knobbly tyres don't grip well on the concrete slabs between the road and the cyclepath.
  • Comedy off on a winter ride: Downhill on compacted snow. It was too slippy to brake, but if I didn't brake I wouldn't make the next corner. I ended up falling off and sliding into the ditch still clinging on to the bike.:blush:
  • A stick flicked up by the front wheel went into the spokes bringing it to an abrupt halt and led to me hitting the deck at speed. My worst accident to date I think and the one that made me realise gloves are an essential bit of kit.

*There are others I could mention but I only think of those as minor incidents.

(Edited to change the order of events. I realised the winter crash was actually before the big one.)

Last edited:
4 times that I can remember.
All on MTB trails - going uphill and grinding to a halt due to lack of momentum and just keeling over (it was hilarious to watch, I'm told!) and once braking too hard and throwing myself sideways to avoid the whole over the handle bar scenario.

James Ots

1. Tried to hop up the kerb and failed. Sprained wrist, arm in a sling for a few weeks.
2. & 3. Sliding off on wet roundabouts. Broke my watch.
4. Caught bar ends on parked Volvo wing mirror while going downhill fast. Flew over the handlebars and apparently did quite a good superman impression for a few metres, before landing on my backside, mostly unhurt. Caused £400 of damage to the Volvo, but my dad's car insurance covered it. I've no idea how.
Those were all over fifteen years ago.

buggi

Bird Saviour
3 due to:-
other rider missing a corner and pulling across me
wet gravel on a corner
liquid mud on a corner

not a fan of corners

Born2die

1 in the last 6 months and a few as a kid. A couple of weeks ago I got to mile 35 longest I had gone in 2 years and my mind wandered it returned as I was cycling up a verge into a hedge and couldn't unclip in time cue big heap of me and bike in prickley hedge

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I've been back on a bike for about five years and have met the tarmac six times.
Doored, clipless, clipless, clipless, clipless.... and fell off on the way to Brighton station after an epic FNRttC "breakfast":whistle:

Top Bottom