How many times have you fallen/been knocked off your bike?

How many times have you been knocked off/fallen off?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Knocked off...4 times that I can recall.
  • Once by a dog running out
  • Once by a car that I didn't look behind for before swinging out (well, I WAS on the tram / no motor vehicle section)
  • Once by a car turning across me (my only collision with proper injuries)
  • Once by my own ploughing into the back of a car after avoiding another cyclist swinging right
Fallen off....who knows? More than I have fingers to count with.
  • The first was on my Raleigh Budgie. My parents stupidly issued the big red "do not press" button of instructions, by telling me NOT to go all the way to the top of the newly built hill to ride down. 2 black eyes, proper panda effect was the inevitable result. My status amongst the other kids was instantly increased tenfold because apparently I didn't cry, which made me, in 5 year old playground circles, a right hard-nut.
  • The scariest I remember was on a corner with ice and traffic following, my roll to the side swinging my bike around with me seemed all in slow-motion and sticks in the memory, as I don't think the bus behind was stopping in time. Yes, the bike was fine.

Bikes written off....3
  • Raleigh Sensor (also see "cars written off")
  • Raleigh Lizard (crashed down a ditch off-road riding)
  • Revolution Country Explorer (also in "knocked off")

Cars written off (by me on a bike)....one. Also accounts for one of the "knocked off" and one of the "bikes written off" :whistle: (I was 15 at the time...I carried my bike home, with nowt but a bruised arm) A Peugeot 205 had a me-shaped crater in the back door and was written off.

Dmcd33

1. Came off my mountain bike once trying to keep up with the lads! Did a 360* in the air and bike landed straight on the back of my helmet (if I didn't have a helmet, then I might not be writing this) Grazed and dazed but no broken bones. The best thing to ever teach me the lesson that I am mortal.

2. Sudden brake behind a car on the wet during my commute home. Had to slide out on the floor to take the momentum away, otherwise I would have gone through his rear windscreen. I still have what feels like a piece of chipped elbow floating around that I get remineded of when I lean on tables.

3. Stacked it a few times with clipless peddles (part of the initiation)

4. Slid out going around a corner on a sportive once. although I realised thatquite a few peopel did that day. Looking back I think it was a diesel spillage.

All since 1996 when I started riding regular (with a break here and there)

GilesM

Legendary Member
No idea how many times I've come off, far too many to remember, a few I can remember were:

Schoolboy circuit race, came down in a bunch crash, unconscious for a few hours, over night stay in observation ward.
Coming together with a car pulling out of a side turning, ride in an ambulance followed by lots of x-rays and bandages.
Crossing the line on my ar$e in a Devil at Reading track league, I was riding on a borrowed track bike, the only reason I was there was to ride in the team pursuit, and I decided to ride the Devil as a wee warm up, rode the team pursuit with a dented top tube and a selection of bandages, fortunately we qualified as one of the fastest 8 teams and the next round was a week later, time to recover.
Hit a car head on in a crit, not closed roads, and I was on the wrong side, another ride in an ambulance, lots more X-rays and bandages.
Most embarrassing one, coming off and bringing five other riders down in the neutralised section at the start of a road race, ar$ing about was the official reason.

Recently I've had lots of mtb falls trying some challenging stuff, I've found a wee bit of body armour really does help, and as I get closer to 50, I'm discovering my body takes a lot longer to recover from the knocks.

thegravestoneman

three wheels on my wagon
4 times since starting again and can't remember how many times first time round and still have scars from riding the Chopper as a kid. Last 4 times were;
1. riding the butchers bike in the snow
2. up in the Dales on the Saracen, getting distracted and riding up a grass bank
3. Avoiding the main carriage way and riding the wrong side of the cones(turned out last 20 cones were roped together)
4. last weekend trying to beat a car for my own right of way on a corner in the rain, ran out of grip/ability and landed heavily on my hip. still not walking right but bruising has finally started to fade.

Top Bottom