How many times have you fallen/been knocked off your bike?

How many times have you been knocked off/fallen off?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
and by way of illustration....
bump.jpg

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Once, a very graceful clipless moment into a bed of pricks (rosebush).

Carl1976

I have been commuting to work for a little over a year. Had one off due to a loss of grip on tram tracks. I've also had an SPD moment when I had lost a screw from one of my cleats and couldn't unclip and fell over in front of stationary traffic at lights as I leant over to loosen my shoe straps so I could take the shoe off. Driver of front car asked if I needed help which was embarrassing but it was nice of him to ask .

TwoPosts

Knocked off my bike in the early 1980's used insurance money to learn to drive.

Took up cycling again in 2006. Bought a road bike in 2011 since then I have had two clipless falls no injuries but both with plenty of witnesses, really embarrassing. Came off my hack bike commuting home in the rain in March this year, don't know what happened front wheel shot away on my penultimate turn home, broke my ankle.

Peter

robjh

Legendary Member
On my tourer, 3 times coming downhill too fast on sand / stones / broken tarmac, though never a problem on 'real' roads.

On road bikes : 3 more than 20 years ago :
1 fell asleep at traffic lights after a beer or two, woke up underneath bike
1 hit a pedestrian and both went tumbling. (He said he was fine, then literally ran off)
1 on ice, on busy roundabout - my worst cycling event and still worries me thinking about it

and more recently :
1 on a wet bend, no obvious reason - petrol on road?
1 stationary, took a photo while one foot still clipped in, twisted round on bike and tipped over - doh!

So not that many for the number of years and only one scary one

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
hmmm

I reckon I've been on the deck 10 times in the last 4 years. 3 were due to ice, with 2 being on the same ride most of the others cos i ride like a c0ck.

One with daughter on a child seat and one with daughter in a trailer.:whistle:

With that track record I think you should have ropes and red lamps around you when you go out

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
That's 5 or more times ever.
I've collided with a small child, stopped unexpectedly in deep gravel a few times, lost it while messing about a few times and skidded on snowy icey roads. Never been knocked off though.
I did once fall over outside a pub, when I got a bit tangled with the bike in a state of overwhelming refreshment.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
... overwhelming refreshment.

Thankyou.

oiljam

Active...ish Member
Twice me. Once a woman pulled straight out of a junction in front of me and I went straight over her bonnet. Broad daylight aswell. I were fine but I needed a new frame and wheels...which she paid for.
Second time I were riding down a hill, a man cut through my path from the opposite side turning right. I didn't realise he'd bent my crank till we both left the scene. Had to pay myself for that one.
Both cars badly damaged, hope they learnt something.
Both were a while ago now as I've just recently started cycling again due to a knee running injury.

Mattonsea

Über Member
I have had loads of near misses , but proper only two . First a deep pothole I was forced in to by a car on the wrong side of the road . Next was black ice on the bottom of the military road on the Isle of Wight. Both hurt but the old Dolan was not even scratched.

martint235

Dog on a bike
5 or more times. I think it's actually 5, first into another cyclist on a bend, second in to a car (a year after the first), then a clipless moment, then Emsworth, then a week after that I hit a pedestrian, I think that's all of them (oh I fell over on LEL but I don't count that). But that's in 20 odd years of cycling, 18 of which have been commuting in London

Top Bottom