How many times have you fallen off on-road since 1.1.12?

Riding your bike on road have often have you fallen off since 1st January 2012

• Once

Votes: 26 54.2%
  • Twice

Votes: 12 25.0%
  • Three times

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Several times

Votes: 5 10.4%
  • I can't stand up for falling down

Votes: 2 4.2%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I'm with the majority here, have fallen once since that date, my own stupid fault, though, no other vehicle involved. Here's my slightly gruesome take on it, in the "before and after" thread: http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/before-after-photos-non-weightloss-edition.103471/post-2346690

I know how it happened: I was silly enough to ride over a gravel section that meets a concrete section, and didn't cross over into the latter at a perpendicular enough angle. Next thing I know, the bike slipped under me, I tumbled through the air, my bike landed on top of me, and I fell heavily and gracelessly :blush:. The end result was: deep cuts on the back of both hands (why the back, I don't know), split lip, nasty graze under one eye, and skin off one elbow. I continued commuting in the weeks after the crash, which probably didn't help much, as my hands bled during every commute for several weeks :laugh:.

But you'll all be extremely relieved to know: barring a slightly out-of-kilter brake hood, the bike was unscathed! Yay! ^_^

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Don't think I have since December 12 on road.

Fell off twice this winter on mud on the Trans Pennine, but that comes with riding a MTB. One was a good face plant. Both had me laughing though !

tyred

Legendary Member
None while actually riding but did trip on a lose paving stone while walking with the bike across a pedestrian area and fell on top of the bike:whistle:

Typically, there was no-one around and as soon as I fell about 100 people materialised to ask if I was okay:wacko:

GrasB

Veteran
A fair number, many more in summer where I've been really pushing & tried to ignore the laws of physics... my conclusion physics > will power

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
[QUOTE 2379631, member: 259"]"Canyon. Built for nerds by nerds." :whistle:[/quote]
Nah

"Canyon. Built for geeks by geeks." :angel:

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Last proper off was mid '80's and involved strong beer from a sesh in a beer tent, then rode the 5 miles home. Looked down to check gear and hit the kerb and flew over the bars.
I did have a sort of clipless mo. in 2010 when I lost a cleat belt from SPD's and rolled gently onto a grassy mound.
As I'm a fair-weather cyclist I don't come across black ice :blush:.

Plenty of wood touching going on here :whistle:.

GrasB

Veteran
The handbook for my Canyon says it all

"The laws of physics are merciless"
But only if the corner/hill knows you're there ^_^:laugh:... corners seem to be much more aware than hills around these parts. :thumbsdown:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Twice for me, both in January/February this year,

1) Car took me out on a roundabout - not my fault.
2) Came off on the ice, straight after taking off the ice tyres - totally my fault!

Not in the time frame but I was doored a few years back, not a scratch on me.
Hit a tree root broken through the pavement, ended up with stitches in my elbow. (not a road but was the cycle path)
Been off on the ice several times, road just around the corner from my house is notorious for black ice, slid down it a few times.

Licramite

Über Member
on the road - just once a couple of weeks back , on my mtb , lost it on a hill on my aeros , failed to unclip when I realised I wasn,t going forward fast enough to stay upright (in the wrong gear) , tried to get my hand to the gears but - toppled over instead. -
got to the off road bit then carried my bike most of they way as it was a sea of mud.

had a few close calls on my road bike but didn't actually fall off - wobbled about like a drunked sailor - been a good year in that respect. ( I don't think falling over whilst climbing over a style carrying the bike counts does it, as it was riding me at the time)

Top Bottom