how much difference does lycra actually make?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Toby_2009

So, does lycra actually make much difference or is it just that cyclists like to wear what look right?

Cheers,

Toby

Dave5N

Über Member
The right clothes for the job.

dodgy

alecstilleyedye said:
brainiac once did a test whereby a lycra clad bloke on a scooter raced someone (richard hammond) in normal clothes.

the aerodynamic lycra won the day.

I can see a flaw in that test...

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
The big plus is that your clothes aren't flapping around like some kind of sail once you get to a decent speed. Lycra gear also tends to wick sweat away from the body more effectively, so you'll be more comfortable.

Horses for courses really - I wouldn't ride more than 5 or 6 miles without proper kit, but if you didn't mind pottering a bit, or don't get sweaty, normal clothes would probably be fine.

Dave Moulton has a good article on this here;
http://davesbikeblog.squarespace.com/blog/2008/4/25/what-to-wear.html

jimboalee

I rode a 100km once wearing a loose jacket. Bloody hell it was like towing a parachute.
Close fitting clothing - "be slippery".:tongue:

Greenbank

Über Member
Toby_2009 said:
So, does lycra actually make much difference or is it just that cyclists like to wear what look right?

It makes a big difference in comfort. I don't wear it for looks.

It dries quickly if it gets wet (try riding in soaking heavy jeans or cotton trousers) and is much lighter when wet.

It wicks away sweat from your body, better for keeping you cool on a hot day than other fabrics.

ChrisKH

Guru
I could show you my chaffed bits from using shorts, as opposed to lycra, if you so wish.

In fact I'll probably do it if you request it or not. :tongue:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Blimey, that Dave Moulton article - it wasn't long ago, certainly the early 80s, when we were still buying Army surplus trousers and turning them into knee britches for mountineering, stitching the leg material onto the bum for reinforcement. How times change.

Lycra next to the skin is good for keeping comfortable in a wider temperature range. It's also easy to layer up or down as it stows away easily. It chafes a lot less.

It washes and dries quickly.

I do tend to reserve it for my longer rides tho.

MajorMantra

Greenbank said:
It makes a big difference in comfort. I don't wear it for looks.

It dries quickly if it gets wet (try riding in soaking heavy jeans or cotton trousers) and is much lighter when wet.

It wicks away sweat from your body, better for keeping you cool on a hot day than other fabrics.

+1. More comfortable, greater freedom of movement, fast drying. Also, you can admire your quads as you ride.:tongue:

Matthew

Top Bottom