how much difference does lycra actually make?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
violetnewt said:
Please have mercy on my work collegues who watch me stumble off my bike in sweaty tank top and cotton trousers, head for the loos, and emerge wiped down deoderised and wearing smart casuals.

Adding lycra to this mix may well push them over the edge!
Punky is right to point out that you don't have to go figure hugging if you don't want to - look for things described as "MTB" or "Freeride" jerseys for a more t-shirt like fit. I found cotton really uncomfortable once I started to sweat, and changing to a top that wicks the sweat away makes a big difference.

Also, a pair of baggy shorts with an insert can be a good bet. I use Endura Hummvees on my commute (need the pockets for my train ticket, work ID etc). Decathlon (if you have one near you) do this type of short in their "Rockrider" range for cheap, although the Endura ones are great quality (I reviewed them in the reviews section of cyclechat).

parklaneyido

Panter said:
Well done :cry:

Actually, I swore blind that I'd never, ever be seen dead in lycra before I started road riding. Now, I wouldn't go out in anything else :headshake:

Same here. I used to be worried about people making comments etc, but I don't get anything of the sort!

violetnewt

I think I'll definately be shopping for cycling gear this weekend. Not least for some padded shorts. My poor derriere! I am loving cycling though.

Slim

Über Member
Over the last few years I've gradually converted from footie shorts and cotton T-Shirt to Lycra shorts and thickish base layer. The difference in comfort is very noticeable.

Mind you, the Mrs laughed her head off when she caught me trying on my first pair of bibshorts last week - "Oh my god!! It's Freddie Mercury!!"

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
hah! My first trip to John O'Groats was in jeans tucked in to wooly socks, shirt, and jumper. We had platform pedals and plimsolls. And we slept by the side of the road. Tents - forget it! I remember washing our keks out in the River Tweed, and putting them straight on! Lycra's for cissies! If you can't beat a bit of wind resistance, take the bus!

DieselDemon

I find shrinkwrap is a great help, and it's cheaper than lycra. Another good tip, instead of spending a fortune on a cycling helmet, use a disposable nappy, as well as protecting you it keeps your head dry too.

Smoothhound

Hehe, I hear you, when she spots me in mine my Mrs calls me Borat (the shorts look like a mankini apparently). When she's finished laughing that is :biggrin:

Slim said:
Over the last few years I've gradually converted from footie shorts and cotton T-Shirt to Lycra shorts and thickish base layer. The difference in comfort is very noticeable.

Mind you, the Mrs laughed her head off when she caught me trying on my first pair of bibshorts last week - "Oh my god!! It's Freddie Mercury!!"

OP
OP
T

Toby_2009

right guys as i said, I have invested in lycras from aldi and wore them out on a short 10 mile ride and I have to say that they are (obviously) perfect for the job, the padding is fantastic and compared to the baggy shorts I normally wear they were simply fantastic.

Top Bottom