How much do your bike (s) weight?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

presta

Guru
I agree with those suggesting that bike weight is not that important a factor compared to rider weight. But for any given rider, a difference in bike weight can be relevant.

On my last tour, my total weight (106.7kg) was 65.4% me, and 34.6% everything else.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Not an alligator then?

Nor a snake.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I have a plan forming for a visit to a mountainous bit of France just to do a couple of real cols next year so I know what it's like.

I had half a plan to build myself a light(ish) "climbing bike" just for that hol. Alu (not carbon - don't ask) frame, no mudguards etc. But the thing is I'd be doing it myself on the cheap so the result wouldn't be as good as my main bike. So I probably won't do that.

The alternative is to swap out the 50/34 on my main bike for a subcompact 48/32 or 46/30 and take the rack and mudguards off.

Or take off the rack & mudguards and leave the 50/34 there and just suffer a bit more.

Jameshow

Veteran
I have a plan forming for a visit to a mountainous bit of France just to do a couple of real cols next year so I know what it's like.

I had half a plan to build myself a light(ish) "climbing bike" just for that hol. Alu (not carbon - don't ask) frame, no mudguards etc. But the thing is I'd be doing it myself on the cheap so the result wouldn't be as good as my main bike. So I probably won't do that.

The alternative is to swap out the 50/34 on my main bike for a subcompact 48/32 or 46/30 and take the rack and mudguards off.

Or take off the rack & mudguards and leave the 50/34 there and just suffer a bit more.

Get a caad9 frame and build it up!

Windle

Über Member
My current fleet:

Cannondale Synapse SL ~ 8.3 kg
Trek Checkpoint AL4 ~ 12.0 kg
Marin Bear Valley SE ~ 12.5 kg
Kona Fire Mountain ~ 12.6 kg
Giant XTC4 ~ 13.2 kg
Univega Alpina ~ 14.0 kg
Trek Marlin 7 ~ 14.7 kg
Trek Singletrack 810 ~ 15.5 kg

It's surprising how light the Marin & Kona feel, being small old steel frames help I suppose.

No idea what my Aluminium Caygill weighs as it's stripped down and half it's bits are on the Giant Chicago turbo bike.

I seem to recall from years gone by that my Denton 531C with Shimano 105 was about 10 kg and my Kirk Precision with a mongrel mixture of Dura Ace and C Record was around 9 kg.

ZIZAG

Veteran
My Old Steel
Raleigh Europa Weighs 15Kgs

Fredo76

Über Member
Bertha, the Jamis Citizen 1 'comfort' bike that I re-started riding on, is 38.8 lbs (17.6 kg).
Clem, My brother's Rivendell Clem Smith Jr. comes out at 32.2 lbs (14.6 kg)
Fredo, my old racing bike was 21 lbs restored and 23.4 lbs geezerized (10.6 kg)
And Bella, my Raleigh Super Record mixte, was 27.2 lbs (12.3 kg) w/o the rack and kickstand.

I am becoming a bit more weight-conscious lately, and Blue Bella will come in at less.

IMG_4358.JPG

I may even go without the rack and kickstand!

simongt

Guru
By the time I'd stripped all the attached clobber off either of my bikes, it's not worth the faff of finding out something that no longer bothers me - ! :laugh:
The Sturmey 8 speed on my Galaxy does comprise a 'lump' on the rear triangle, bit it's overall weight is probably no more than the more spread out weight of a derailleur system.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I've only ever weighed one of my bikes, which I don't have anymore.

It started as a Carrera Magnesium road bike, which I converted to flat bars, single speed. It finally weighed in at 7.8kg.

My old e-bike was listed as 22kg

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@Electric_Andy - I had one of those Carrera's, in bright green. It rode well but they had a reputation for cracking and mine showed initial signs of it.

Apparently the Yorkshire road championship was won in 2000-ish on one, according to the winner who stopped me one day to check whether my bike was his old one.

1700868174707.png

Sold the Carrera to a Hungarian trainee doctor in Leeds.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
@Electric_Andy - I had one of those Carrera's, in bright green. It rode well but they had a reputation for cracking and mine showed initial signs of it.

Apparently the Yorkshire road championship was won in 2000-ish on one, according to the winner who stopped me one day to check whether my bike was his old one.

View attachment 714501

Sold the Carrera to a Hungarian trainee doctor in Leeds.

I paid 120 quid for mine. It was just too rigid for me.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1700888992268.jpg
    FB_IMG_1700888992268.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 6

CAESAR AVGVSTVS

My Secialized 2017 mtb chisel weighs around 12kgs. But I’m not bothered about the weight of extras I have on it. The bikes sole purpose is to give me a hard enjoyable ride, so when I Jump on my Specialized Tarmac (8.3kgs)at the weekends, the steep long hills are a little easier to get over. But unless you’re into competition riding, there is no point worrying about weight, no matter what you ride the pain never goes away.

Top Bottom