How much does the cold affect cycling performance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Been out today and done 65 miles, but the temperature was as low as -9, and averaged at -4 for the whole ride. How much do you think the temperature affects your performance? It was a bit of a struggle for the last 15-20 miles.

I'm training up for the Cheshire Cat 100 miler, and its going to be hard going if I feel that bad after 65 miles.

lulubel

Über Member
Personally, I find it affects me a lot, and I'm not exposed to temperatures anywhere near that low. It was about 1C yesterday morning when I went for my run, and about 6C today by the time I went cycling. I struggle to breathe in the cold, and if I'm not wrapped up warm enough, my legs seem to lack strength too. I am asthmatic, though, so that probably makes the breathing problems worse.

WychwoodTrev

I did a 45 miler today and it seemed so much harder and I got aches in my legs arms and back ater bottle froze after 20 so had a slush puppie for the rest of the ride, Gonna have a nice soak in a warm bath.

Willo

As a bit of a fair weather cyclist I've been trying to get out each weekend so far this year to get some early miles in to prep for a sportive at the start of April.

I have found it relatively tough so far compared to the spring/summer (and after spending every day in the gym this week, gave it a miss altogether today with icy roads and below freezing temps).

I read somewhere that, let alone the affect of the cold on the cyclist, colder air is denser and therefore offers more resistance. On that basis, it is phyically harder in the winter although I have no idea how material the the difference is. I am sure someone cleverer than me can confirm this or otherwise!

Blue

Legendary Member
I've never measured the effect, but the cold does slow me down - I wouldn't worry in your position. You are obviously getting the miles in and that will stand you in good stead.

Have you tried using a buff around your neck? I find that pulling a buff over my mouth warms the ingoing air. I avoid covering my nose as well as that makes my shades mist-up.

Good luck with the 'Cat'.

lulubel

Über Member
Have you tried using a buff around your neck? I find that pulling a buff over my mouth warms the ingoing air. I avoid covering my nose as well as that makes my shades mist-up.

Loads of cyclists round here wear buffs even in our relatively warm weather. My OH wears one and says it makes a huge difference to her breathing, and it also keeps her face warm. I can't use one because covering my mouth and/or nose with anything makes me feel like I'm being suffocated (again probably something to do with being asthmatic). The best I can manage is to hold my gloved hand or sleeve over my face for a few seconds when I'm riding through smoke from a bonfire.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Went from Cambridge to Bury St Edmunds and back today.... in the car. My mum is visiting this weekend so no bike for me. I do know that after my commutes this week I need a weekend of rest as my legs have been knackered, alot more than usual. I have a feeling that this is down to the cold weather.
Last weekend I only bothered to do 35 miles as it was too cold and I couldn't be arsed!
Meanwhile in Bury I only went and ordered a Cube Agree GTC pro to demo (buy, but the Mrs was with me!!!). Roll on next Saturday:thumbsup:

Blue

Legendary Member
Loads of cyclists round here wear buffs even in our relatively warm weather. My OH wears one and says it makes a huge difference to her breathing, and it also keeps her face warm. I can't use one because covering my mouth and/or nose with anything makes me feel like I'm being suffocated (again probably something to do with being asthmatic). The best I can manage is to hold my gloved hand or sleeve over my face for a few seconds when I'm riding through smoke from a bonfire.

Yeah, I use one in the Summer too. I live by the sea and do much of my training on coastal roads where the buff serves me well by keeping the sandflies out of my mouth!!

Blue

Legendary Member
Went from Cambridge to Bury St Edmunds and back today.... in the car. My mum is visiting this weekend so no bike for me. I do know that after my commutes this week I need a weekend of rest as my legs have been knackered, alot more than usual. I have a feeling that this is down to the cold weather.
Last weekend I only bothered to do 35 miles as it was too cold and I couldn't be arsed!
Meanwhile in Bury I only went and ordered a Cube Agree GTC pro to demo (buy, but the Mrs was with me!!!). Roll on next Saturday:thumbsup:

Enjoy the new bike.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I did my usual 35 miler this morning, which took longer than usual. Mainly because I kept my speed at <20mph due to the ice risk. But also because I stopped for a bit to throw stones onto a frozen Bolam Lake. Childish.

OP
OP
G

guttertrash

Über Member
Was pretty well kitted up, cycling balaclava, two pairs of gloves, two pairs of socks+overshoes, and long sleeve base layer, long sleeve jersey and a gilet. Only fingers and toes got really cold, which made seemed to make it hard work. Didn't help that both my water bottles were frozen solid, so my fluid intake wasn't ideal. I just figured that a lot of potential cycling energy was being used to keep warm instead, but im no expert.

MrB1obby

I read somewhere that, let alone the affect of the cold on the cyclist, colder air is denser and therefore offers more resistance. On that basis, it is phyically harder in the winter although I have no idea how material the the difference is. I am sure someone cleverer than me can confirm this or otherwise!

This is true, I don't know the material difference of how much harder it is to physically pedal. However because the air is dense, oxygen rich, it means that with each normal breath in and out you will be bringing more oxygen into the lungs which in turn means more oxygen to your muscles etc etc.

This is just a theory of mine which seems to make sense...it works on engines :whistle:

MrB1obby

I thought this too, until a medical professional friend of mine put me wise - it's not the amount of oxygen inwards that matters (the body takes what it needs and we can't improve on that), it's the amount of carbon dioxide expelled. The quicker we lose C02 the easier it is for our lungs to make use of oxygen. Since she told me that, I've made a point of breathing OUT very hard on hills, and it really works!

Ahhh now that makes sense!

Although...I don't think I can breathe any harder up hills:pump:

soulful dog

Veteran
Loads of cyclists round here wear buffs even in our relatively warm weather. My OH wears one and says it makes a huge difference to her breathing, and it also keeps her face warm. I can't use one because covering my mouth and/or nose with anything makes me feel like I'm being suffocated (again probably something to do with being asthmatic).
I only wear a buff when it's really cold as I end up struggling with my breathing and it gets pulled lower and lower till it's really only covering my neck! As an alternative, buff just worn round my neck and a 'sports headband that covers my ears (and back of neck) works a treat. It's not something I'd have thought of wearing, but the headband really makes a difference to my comfort when plodding along in the cold.

GrasB

Veteran
Depends how well you dress for the conditions. If I can keep my self properly hot & sweaty without getting cold then I'll lose maybe 10-15% of my summer power for a given heart rate.

Top Bottom