How much does the cold affect cycling performance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cycleruk

How much do you think the temperature affects your performance? It was a bit of a struggle for the last 15-20 miles.
Dosent mater if its hot or cold for me if the conditions are not right, then my performance drops big time. State of mind can make a bit difference to how i feel which inturn can affect my performance aswell. Ive also found that i am more at risk of pulling a muscle in the winter due to the fact the that the cold air causes my muscles to cool down also affecting my performance...... it can be really painfull as well!

G-Zero

Über Member
I used to be very tolerant of the cold, however this winter I've really wimped. It's either an age thing or it's the 2 stone of insulation that I've shed.

My knees tend to ache a lot when it's really cold and my speed drops as a result.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Doesn't bother me as i am sat inside with the heating on full and am as warm as toast.
Done the winter thing for years and cant be bothered anymore , will wait for the sunshine and at least +5 deg before i come out of hibernation.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I went out and did seventy miles in sub zero temperatures and to be honest didn't really notice a difference. A base layer, bib longs two short sleeve cycling shirts, track suit bottoms and a pertex wind stopper kept me warm. My average speed for the ride was close to my average speed for 100km+ rides.

There's a lot of theories being offered here that have no evidence that support them.

Just time yourself over a fixed route over a different temperatures and come to your own conclusions.

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
Think there must be something in this, my times these last two weeks have been shocking, the cold must have an effect.

Mentioned this thread to her indoors, shes a fairly high level competitive swimmer. There is thought to be an effect over shorter swimming races in colder pools.

That and the cold has made the handlebars creak, the computer go all wierd and my tyres have lost about 10 psi. All makes a difference.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Did a 45 miler yesterday in -3c and it did seem a lot harder. The course was relatively flat with some medium hills thrown in, but it felt a lot harder than it should have been. My Avg speed on most rides in the summer seems to be 16-18mph. In winter I'm averaging 15-16mph, so there is a noticeable effect. Yesterday was cold and wet, with the sort of light drizzle that just soaks you in minutes, and with the wind it was just sapping energy. Usually I don't get cold on rides, but the last 10miles was a real struggle, just nothing left in the tank, came close to a full on bonk.

endoman

can't wait to go out today, it's above zero, and no ice to dodge.
Have been given a training plan for The Etape, which includes 4 sportives, phase one is build up to Cheshire Cat.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
And those that have been heavily treated might have seriously reduced traction thanks to the additives they put in road grit. My recently-healed road rash was evidence of this. My guess is that if there's a lot of moisture in the air any residual salt on the road attracts the moisture, then it mixes with the additive to make that slippery black sheen that you see on treated roads. It needs a good dose of rain to wash it off. Still be careful out there!

lukesdad

Now not sure about this but if you want to improve oxygenation in a patient that has poor ventilation you can apply PEEP (positive end expiratory pressure). This stops the alveoli of your lungs collapsing at the end of expiration, thus improving oxygenation.

So when you breath out you can do the same by partially closing you mouth like if you are going to whistle. And breath out against this partial obstruction. So maybe this could improve oxygenation/gas transfer when on the bike.

Just a theory and I might be completely wrong.

Comments?
This is very true, its how a carburettor works to speed up air flow. Passing air through a venturi such as you describe. As you breath out you will expel a greater volume of co2 rich air from your lungs. Then you can replace that with oxygen rich air as you breathe in. Of course how benefitial this will be will depend on how efficent you cardio vascular system is.
It works the other way too, and its why you should breathe in thruogh the nose.

Watch swimmers they re the real experts.

GrasB

Veteran
For each 10c down you lose about 1mph for the same power output due to the increased air density.
I have been wondering about this, but couldn't find a reference that supports it with a calculation. Do you have a reference?
His calculations work... when the power output is 20kW & you're doing about 95mph! At a more reasonable 200W it's about 0.15mph per 10C drop in temps due to air density.

There was some research done a while back that suggested exposure to lower temperatures before exercise actually improved performance, taking a cold shower before you went out for example.I dont know if its harder its more uncomfortable for sure due to cold face & extremities

Top Bottom