How much does the cold affect cycling performance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Depends how well you dress for the conditions. If I can keep my self properly hot & sweaty without getting cold then I'll lose maybe 10-15% of my summer power for a given heart rate.

That's strangely reassuring as I seem to have been cycling through Solid Air recently and I've been wondering how it is that I can stay upright whilst cycling so slowly (and I quite clearly wasn't at all quick in the first place).

D

Deleted member 1258

My legs definitely don't work very well in the cold, and the colder it gets the more noticeable the performance drop is, it doesn't matter how I dress its always there.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Summer vs winter I definitely cycle faster in summer but that probably relates to wearing less clothes making movement easier. But in the really cold stuff that we had last week I end up zapped of energy when I get to the journey's end and my muscles ache.

brokenflipflop

Veteran
Been out today and done 65 miles, but the temperature was as low as -9, and averaged at -4 for the whole ride. How much do you think the temperature affects your performance? It was a bit of a struggle for the last 15-20 miles.

I'm training up for the Cheshire Cat 100 miler, and its going to be hard going if I feel that bad after 65 miles.
I'm training for the Cheshire Cat too.....judging by the distances you're clocking up, maybe I'm not training hard enough. :smile: I'm eating lots of carbs and sugar, looking at my bike, then eating more carbs and sugar...hopefully that will get me around, although I have my doubts.:thumbsup:

jdrussell

I was kitted up to the eyeballs on a ride in to Kent last weekend, and I would have to say it was the coldest ride I have ever been on. Averaged around -4 to -5 in places. I was ok till near the end, and when I got off the bike it was a nightmare. Got on a train, got back to London then had to cycle another 7 miles home. That was one of the hardest 7 miles I have ever experienced on my bike. However, they do say, whatever is hard makes you stronger and I have been riding my bike this week and have felt great on it everyday irrespective of how cold it has been.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Is it just me or do I not feel the cold like other people do?

I can recall numerous times when I went on the local club run in just a jersey and shorts last October. All the other guys had their long sleeve clothes on and kept asking me if I was cold. I explained to them that I was when I left my house but got warmed up.

What I wear in the winter: Base vest, short sleeve jersey and high vis jacket. Underpants, bib shorts and a base long leg warmers. Walking socks and SPD's. Long finger gloves.
Occassionally a skull cap (for very cold temps) and a helmet.

I dont like getting very hot so I rarely wear much. In summer I simply wear bib shorts, short sleeve jersey, mittens, SPD's, and a helmet.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
I feel the cold more than many others perhaps...recently i've been wearing 2 socks, over shoes, bib longs, base layer , 3 meriono jerseys, 1 cycle jersey, 2 pairs gloves, balaclava and if it's wet i'll take off a merino and wear a night vision jacket...and I'm still freezing out there!

I thought this too, until a medical professional friend of mine put me wise - it's not the amount of oxygen inwards that matters (the body takes what it needs and we can't improve on that), it's the amount of carbon dioxide expelled. The quicker we lose C02 the easier it is for our lungs to make use of oxygen. Since she told me that, I've made a point of breathing OUT very hard on hills, and it really works!

Now not sure about this but if you want to improve oxygenation in a patient that has poor ventilation you can apply PEEP (positive end expiratory pressure). This stops the alveoli of your lungs collapsing at the end of expiration, thus improving oxygenation.

So when you breath out you can do the same by partially closing you mouth like if you are going to whistle. And breath out against this partial obstruction. So maybe this could improve oxygenation/gas transfer when on the bike.

Just a theory and I might be completely wrong.

Comments?

albion

Guru
Does not cold air not have a higher oxygen content?

I initially regretted buying that 'boil in the bag' Aldi winter cycling jacket September-ish.
However it is in fact quite breathable and keeps the cold out so well that very few layers are needed.

Arsen Gere

Über Member
For each 10c down you lose about 1mph for the same power output due to the increased air density.

The proportion of oxygen in the air remains the same regardless of temperature but humidity changes. This impacts your ability to exchage the 02 and C02, damp air/rain is said to have more oxygen available but I can't find a reference to support this. Warm air can supports more moisture but the higher temperature makes exercise more difficult and you sweat more so there is a optimal value for each of us. This stuff is never straight forward.

The longer rides in cold weather increase muscle/ligament tension and so you may work harder, if the muscle temperature starts to drop then the oxygen exchange suffers both can lead to stiffness.

The way I look at it is the colder it is the harder it gets. Roll on the summer.

oldroadman

Veteran
HOwever well you kit up, just keeping warm takes up a lot of energy that would normally go into riding. Even with hands, feet, head well protected, and good base layers, roubaix fabric kit, windstopper, you can still get chilled almost without noticing, until you notice the lack of result from perceived effort. It'll all be better when it's warmer!

Top Bottom