How much does the cold affect cycling performance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fran143

Über Member
I go faster in the cold....gets me home quicker!:whistle: Sunshine and warm temps I take forever, may be something to do with the fact I like to stop at whatever beer garden I find.:blush:

albion

Guru
As an average cyclist I am quite aware that colder temperatures give me better performance.

Statistically for marathon runners the ideal temperature is 5C. and they certainly go about my speed.

Arsen Gere

Über Member
Vamp, GrasB,
I can't find the referrence to support this statement, it was based on a non-linear graph I saw relating to performance.
The basic physics as described provide a starting point, then comes in muscle efficiency and the ability to exchange 02/C02, muscle efficiency and perceived exertion. Based on UK temperatures, 0-20c there were improvements and over 30c things got worse due to the heat and the general efficiency of the body declined.
1c was an approximation, if my memory serves me correctly it was nearer 0.8c on a very bendy graph.

VamP

Banned
Based on my observations, I am inclined to agree that the drop in actual speed with cold air is quite significant, but I would have liked to have seen an actual calculation. I am anal like that :rolleyes:

@ GrasB - do you have a reference to support your 20kW/95mph number?

GrasB

Veteran
I've got 100s of hours of recorded heart rate, power & speed data which makes a complete mockery of that. To quote my self:
For a zone 3 commute it's around a 0.75mph ave speed variance for <4mph wind speeds between -10 & +25C.
About 2/3 of that difference is explained by air density. In addition to this I consistently put in the same ave & peek heart rates. The big one is my instantaneous, sub 10 second, peek power is noticeably down by 150-200w.

GrasB

Veteran
Based on my observations, I am inclined to agree that the drop in actual speed with cold air is quite significant, but I would have liked to have seen an actual calculation. I am anal like that :rolleyes:
Remembering the orignal statment was qualified with "due to air density". if a rider under dresses they will see a significant power production loss for a given HR & depending on how under dressed also a noticeable reduction in obtainable HR, both ave & peek values.

@ GrasB - do you have a reference to support your 20kW/95mph number?
It's the base line physics. Experiment with various power to speed calculators for example:
http://www.bikecalculator.com/
http://www.kreuzotter.de/english/espeed.htm

VamP

Banned
Remembering the orignal statment was qualified with "due to air density". if a rider under dresses they will see a significant power production loss for a given HR & depending on how under dressed also a noticeable reduction in obtainable HR, both ave & peek values.

It's the base line physics. Experiment with various power to speed calculators for example:
http://www.bikecalculator.com/
http://www.kreuzotter.de/english/espeed.htm

Thanks GrasB.

I have run a quick and dirty scenario through the first one of those at my threshold power of 350w, and I get a difference of 0.75 mile per hour between 26 Celsius, and 4 Celsius, all other factors being even. I am assuming the algorithm of that calculator operates on air density alone, and obvioulsy I have no way of knowing how that was applied. Nevertheless, I find that very signficant.

Thanks dudes :thumbsup:

david k

Hi
Been out today and done 65 miles, but the temperature was as low as -9, and averaged at -4 for the whole ride. How much do you think the temperature affects your performance? It was a bit of a struggle for the last 15-20 miles.

I'm training up for the Cheshire Cat 100 miler, and its going to be hard going if I feel that bad after 65 miles.

its certainly makes you thirstier! you seem to breath more and i remember that the cold takes more moisture out of your mouth or something like that, i tend to drink alot. maybe its because your so wrapped up to keep warm you sweat more?? not sure

i also think you work harder to keep warm so take more out of you

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I'm the opposite in that I drink less - I think because the drink is so cold! I've been known to stick hot juice in my bottle but it goes cold so quickly. I do often take a flask but you can't just take a sip as you ride along.

GrasB

Veteran
Based on my observations, I am inclined to agree that the drop in actual speed with cold air is quite significant
if a rider under dresses they will see a significant power production loss for a given HR
Example on friday, as it was a touch under 11C I went for light calf guards & 3/4 longs thick but unfleeced, I also only had a compression top & light weight windproof jacket. I used fleeced lightweight longs on the ride in (6.5-7C) & used a thin mid-layer. On the face of it all was fine, I wasn't cold & was sweating ever so slightly. However the power data said I was under dressed on the ride home! Average power was down 15%, peek power down 35% & HRmax was down by 5bpm despite, a slower ride despite feeling like I put much more effort into the ride! In hindsight I never managed to keep that sustained ache in my legs through the entire ride, only on the inclines when pushing really hard.

Top Bottom