how much does you roadie weigh?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsmith

Veteran
It's not an exact science, but it gives a rough guide of power to weight, making all kinds of assumptions about average fitness and muscle mass and so on. If my bike was half my weight you would conclude that I was very light, or my bike was very heavy - or a bit of both. Either way, it would be impressive if I could shift such a combination as fast as someone with a bike that was 10% of their weight.

It's like cars and trailers - an 400kg trailer would be not much to my current car, but you'd know about it if you tried to shift it with a 1975 Mini 1000 :smile:
Still doesn't hold water. Weight has zero to do with power. If that Mini had a V8 in it, then all bets on your current car would be off, and it would still weigh less.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The percentage thing is pointless. If your bike weighs 7kg and you weigh 70kg compared to a bike weighing 12kg and you weighing 120kg, then what does it actually tell you?

Well, the reason I raised it was because it points out that the mass of the bike isn't that critical a factor in the all-up mass, which is what you have to drag uphill. If you spend £££ reducing the mass of your bike by (say) 10% you will have reduced the all-up weight by (say) < 1% which is sweet FA. Just in case you're tempted by a carbon bottle cage.

Not very profound I grant you. Statement of the obvious maybe, but not entirely pointless. Just a little reminder that it's cheaper and healthier to lose weight from your waist than from the bike. (Assuming that is, that you are not a stick-thin pro with zero body fat trying to win races)

KneesUp

Guru
If that Mini had a V8 in it, then all bets on your current car would be off, and it would still weigh less.

I did say it gives a rough guide. Minis with V8s in them are quite rare, as are people who produce significantly more or less power than the average person.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Well, the reason I raised it was because it points out that the mass of the bike isn't that critical a factor in the all-up mass, which is what you have to drag uphill. If you spend £££ reducing the mass of your bike by (say) 10% you will have reduced the all-up weight by (say) < 1% which is sweet FA. Just in case you're tempted by a carbon bottle cage.

Not very profound I grant you. Statement of the obvious maybe, but not entirely pointless. Just a little reminder that it's cheaper and healthier to lose weight from your waist than from the bike. (Assuming that is, that you are not a stick-thin pro with zero body fat trying to win races)

As I'm around 60 Kg my best bike is relatively heavy at 7.6kg - Therefore I obviously NEED a much lighter one ^_^. BTW I saved 52gms by getting a couple of carbon cages !:wahhey: Actually I suppose I could still loose a few Kg body weight .......

bpsmith

Veteran
I did say it gives a rough guide. Minis with V8s in them are quite rare, as are people who produce significantly more or less power than the average person.
You could be 18 stone of pure muscle or 18 stone of pure lard. Which one will produce the most power? Again, power has nothing to do with weight.

I get what you are aiming at, but the scenario doesn't lend itself unfortunately.

turbomart

Über Member
Of course Power to weight has the most influence on propelling a bicycle forwards, surely that's just common sense? More Power, less weight = faster acceleration...After that aero dynamics and stamina come's into play ;)

I know who my money would be on reaching the top of a hill out of the two 18 stone guys mentioned above. ^_^

Drago

Legendary Member
As I'm around 60 Kg my best bike is relatively heavy at 7.6kg - Therefore I obviously NEED a much lighter one ^_^. BTW I saved 52gms by getting a couple of carbon cages !:wahhey: Actually I suppose I could still loose a few Kg body weight .......
ye Gods man. My breakfast weighs not than you do!

gbb

Legendary Member
7.9 kg on a set of bathroom scales, not very scientific eh.
Ribble Sportive carbon, Veloce, Fulcrum 5 wheels.
I'm a stone over my normal lifetime weight, so a bit of work to do there :whistle:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
my summer roadie is approx 7.5kg , winter steed probably 8.5kg might be more. I can be just as quick on either and at 95kg myself I know where the weight needs to be lost :biggrin:

Top Bottom