how much does you roadie weigh?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Part time cyclist

Über Member
Giant TCR advance 2 carbon frame with 105 running gear 8kg goes like a Ferrari with a fiat 500 engine

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
Felt claim mine is around 9kg.
Irrelevant to me as I weigh a lot, as does my rucksack and by the time the heavens open so do my clothes :blush:
If my wheels ever need replacing I may invest in some handmade lighter ones.

outlash

also available in orange
CAAD8 - lightest

CAADX - heavier

Genesis day one - have to be careful going over weak bridges

Tony.

KneesUp

Guru
A more interesting question might be, "what percentage of your weight is your bike". My fixed is 13.4% of my weight [unclothed, both], other bikes are available some of which are lighter, some heavier :smile:.
16.6% (steel commuter - probably more like 20% with lights, guards, rack and empty bags)

I think the other way around is more interesting - what percentage of your bike's weight are you? (600% - or about 490% inc. kit above)

Or, of the total weight of you on the bike, what percentage is you, and what is the bike (from 86/14 to 83/17 depending on kit fitted. Probably 75/25 if you count the weight of the stuff I commute with)

Cubist

Still wavin'
Planet X pro carbon frame, 11 speed 105 chainset, brakes and shifters, ultegra mechs, Aksium/Aksion wheelset, , easton carbon seatpost, 3T alloy ergonova bars, charge knife saddle 7.8kg

Newbike080.jpg

Last edited:

bpsmith

Veteran
16.6% (steel commuter - probably more like 20% with lights, guards, rack and empty bags)

I think the other way around is more interesting - what percentage of your bike's weight are you? (600% - or about 490% inc. kit above)

Or, of the total weight of you on the bike, what percentage is you, and what is the bike (from 86/14 to 83/17 depending on kit fitted. Probably 75/25 if you count the weight of the stuff I commute with)
The percentage thing is pointless. If your bike weighs 7kg and you weigh 70kg compared to a bike weighing 12kg and you weighing 120kg, then what does it actually tell you?

KneesUp

Guru
The percentage thing is pointless. If your bike weighs 7kg and you weigh 70kg compared to a bike weighing 12kg and you weighing 120kg, then what does it actually tell you?
It's not an exact science, but it gives a rough guide of power to weight, making all kinds of assumptions about average fitness and muscle mass and so on. If my bike was half my weight you would conclude that I was very light, or my bike was very heavy - or a bit of both. Either way, it would be impressive if I could shift such a combination as fast as someone with a bike that was 10% of their weight.

It's like cars and trailers - an 400kg trailer would be not much to my current car, but you'd know about it if you tried to shift it with a 1975 Mini 1000 :smile:

Top Bottom