How much harder is it cycling in cold weather.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I know my fitness is at a low ebb just now but have really struggled to keep up a decent average speed on longer rides in this cold weather.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Everything is slower in the winter time

toeknee

Über Member
It was bloody cold & misty this morning @ 9am, first time I've had cold feet with overshoes on, but yes you do feel a bit slower in the winter. ( must be winter all year round where I ride then ) very refreshing though.

Steady

Über Member
It was bloody cold & misty this morning @ 9am, first time I've had cold feet with overshoes on, but yes you do feel a bit slower in the winter. ( must be winter all year round where I ride then ) very refreshing though.

No overshoes for me today, and I had to stop half way to walk feeling back into my feet. I see the sun and convince myself it's warm outside when it isn't! :sad:

Typically in Winter I feel like I just can't power down and go for it, there's nothing there when my legs are cold.

I don't ride a lot in Winter but even when I've skipped a month out in Sumer I've still been able to power down just not for as long!

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Wet winter roads means I ease off on the descents which knocks the average back a bit. Not sure I'm any slower uphill or on the flat though. Maybe a tiny bit due to more clothing, but not much

NorvernRob

Pretend that your pathetically slow speed in winter is because you are watching out for icy patches... :whistle:

Considering I came off once and had several other brown pants moments today, that was definitely true! On reflection riding to one of the highest points in the Peak District may not have been the best idea.

But yeah, I've been a lot slower this winter on similar rides to the summer. I have started running in the last few weeks though which is destroying my legs, they've been so fatigued on rides I can't pedal hard enough to get out of breath!

Katherine

Guru
I think you still put the same effort into the ride even if you aren't getting the same speeds as in the summer. You are more careful at corners and junctions so you lose momentum and it lowers your average.
Plus with all the extra layers on, you are more restricted in your movements. I love how easy my legs move in the summer in shorts or thin leggings. In the winter with base tights and winter trousers, the pedaling action feels more of an effort.
Think about how many miles you do rather than how fast you go. It's the miles that count towards your fitness. :training:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I'm loads slower in winter. Different bike for a start. I'm more careful on the cyclepaths too, lots of ice and leaves. There wasn't today but I was still really slow.

Top Bottom