How much is too much?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rusty Rocket

Just been browsing the usual websites to see what I can’t afford (or need, but that’s irrelevant) and can see that it’s easy to blow a grand on a bike.
Carbon fibre, higher spec components etc all go towards paying more, but is anyone seriously spending nearly £10k on a bike? What’s the difference between this and say a £2k or even £5k bike?
And who’s buying these? Teams competing in TdF etc or are their bikes custom builds?
Baffled!

https://www.evanscycles.com/brand/c...2-2021-mens-road-bike-934388#colcode=93438818

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Some people are probably buying them, else we'd see more discounts.

In general, I'd suggest not spending more than you can afford to lose.

OP
OP
R

Rusty Rocket

Some people are probably buying them, else we'd see more discounts.

In general, I'd suggest not spending more than you can afford to lose.
Yeah, fair. I guess my question is are they actually worth it? Or are they overpriced for what you actually get?

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Firstly decide what you will be using your bike for: road-racing? Touring? Downhill racing? Circus tricks?
What you have linked to a road-race machine aimed at those who will probably only ever use it for the occasional sportif.

KneesUp

Guru
[makes claim]
although
I don't have any scientific evidence or links to anything to prove it.;)
A seat in government awaits you :-)

OP
OP
R

Rusty Rocket

What does it matter what anyone else spends on a bike. Why do some people buy Aldi shorts and some Rapha. Why do some people buy a Dacia and others an Audi - value for money is a personal thing
ok... It was more of a question as to what makes them more expensive, rather than whether someone should buy them or not (hence asking in the beginners section).
The car analogy is a weak one - even a non car expert can tell the difference between cheap and expensive.

vickster

Legendary Member
Ok...
So I wasn’t having a pop at anyone

ok... It was more of a question as to what makes them more expensive, rather than whether someone should buy them or not (hence asking in the beginners section).
The car analogy is a weak one - even a non car expert can tell the difference between cheap and expensive.
Quality of materials, brand, cachet, components, mark up, need to fund pro team sponsorship, paint job...
Similar to what makes an Audi more expensive than a Dacia I guess

I think most could tell the difference between a £500 and a £5000 bike...just by picking it up :smile:

CXRAndy

Guru
I dont mind spending money on a frame gear set, but really balk at spending silly money on deep aero rims. I will not buy, enve and alike. £700 for a set is the most I've every paid on wheels. Ive got some nice wheels too

vickster

Legendary Member
I could spend 5k on a bike or more, but as a recreational pootler I've never been able to justify spending more than £2.5k (any more than I could justify spending more than £15k on a car)

chris-suffolk

Many would say that an 'entry level' road bike is north of £1500 now-a-days. Certainly I wouldn't say mine is in anyway exceptional, and I picked it up in an end of season sale, but the RRP on it was a LOT more than £1500.

There was a post on another cycle forum not long back, where the OP was asking what wheels to add to his brand new road bike. The Bike was over £12000, and I think he ended up with wheels above £5000. For him it made sense and was value for money - for others ???!!

Buy what you can afford, and what meets your needs - though those 2 objectives may be incompatible.

Top Bottom