How much is too much?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
My attitude is that above about £850, I 'd rather spend more money on the engine than the bike.

The Cannondale has a high end electronic groupset and better carbon weave and there is probably some aerodynamic research/ advantage. Whether being a couple of hundred grams lighter, stiffer and micro seconds faster shifting and aerodynamics worth it, especially to the amateur :rolleyes: They must feel with supply and demand economics it works for them.

OP
OP
R

Rusty Rocket

The Cannondale has a high end electronic groupset and better carbon weave and there is probably some aerodynamic research/ advantage. Whether being a couple of hundred grams lighter, stiffer and micro seconds faster shifting and aerodynamics worth it, especially to the amateur :rolleyes: They must feel with supply and demand economics it works for them.
That’s really useful, thanks. Didn’t know electronic groupsets existed until now!
Tighter CF weave is exactly the sort of thing that I was looking to hear vs a cheaper bike. Sounds like elite level tinkering.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Tighter CF weave is exactly the sort of thing that I was looking to hear vs a cheaper bike. Sounds like elite level tinkering.

Sounds like a load of marketing BS to me. I'd like to see a kosher blind test of one of these supposedly "special" frames, compared back to back with a regular one, with no decals fitted, without the testers being told how much each bike weighed, and no way the testers could game the result.
Bicycle Quarterly reported on a blind test for plain unadorned steel frames made of different makers tubesets and the testers could not tell which was which.

OP
OP
R

Rusty Rocket

That’s sort of my original question - is it just marketing BS why these bikes are nearly 5 figures or is there some magic to them. Bit of both I’d imagine.
I’d expect to be bombarded with marketing bs / science (pseudo or not) if I was shelling out that sort of cash.

I could spend 5k on a bike or more, but as a recreational pootler I've never been able to justify spending more than £2.5k (any more than I could justify spending more than £15k on a car)
Absolutely this,

I think 105 level groupset is as much as the 'average Joe' needs and the above price generally provides this, sometimes Ultegra, wheels are generally pretty good as well.

There's a lot of diminishing returns here.

Any bike over about £500 is going to be pretty decent.

Manufacturers will sell 10k bikes because people will buy them. They're cheap compared to cars and they need to furnish their racing teams with the best anyway. Makes sense to sell the same to the public.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Manufacturers will sell 10k bikes because people will buy them. They're cheap compared to cars

Except they aren't. it's quite possible to buy a brand new car that will transport four people and a load of luggage/shopping etc, for less money than one high end road bike that will transport one person and is able to carry bugger all else.
High end bikes are terrible value for money, especially when compared to motorised transport. What do you think costs more in engineering development, a racing motorcycle capable of close to 200 mph or a human powered racing bike? Most people would probably think the former, in which case why is a very fast motorcycle comparable in price to a high end carbon fibre road bike and not several times more expensive?

Except they aren't. it's quite possible to buy a brand new car that will transport four people and a load of luggage/shopping etc, for less money than one high end road bike that will transport one person and is able to carry bugger all else.
High end bikes are terrible value for money, especially when compared to motorised transport. What do you think costs more in engineering development, a racing motorcycle capable of close to 200 mph or a human powered racing bike? Most people would probably think the former, in which case why is a very fast motorcycle comparable in price to a high end carbon fibre road bike and not several times more expensive?
Absolutely, how can a pushbike really cost 10k when all the above is available for the same price?

All I can think is the amount sold, loads more cars/motorcycles compared to pushbikes keeps the cost down.

Reactions: C R

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Sounds like a load of marketing BS to me. I'd like to see a kosher blind test of one of these supposedly "special" frames, compared back to back with a regular one, with no decals fitted, without the testers being told how much each bike weighed, and no way the testers could game the result.
Bicycle Quarterly reported on a blind test for plain unadorned steel frames made of different makers tubesets and the testers could not tell which was which.
I can only assume you've never ridden one. The difference is marked.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
That’s sort of my original question - is it just marketing BS why these bikes are nearly 5 figures or is there some magic to them. Bit of both I’d imagine.
I’d expect to be bombarded with marketing bs / science (pseudo or not) if I was shelling out that sort of cash.
I think you are correct in saying it's a bit of both. I retired four years ago and from my lump sum treated myself to a summer bike which would now cost £4500, possibly £5000 given the price increases coming our way, to replace. I didn't pay close to that sum. The difference is significant, my easy cruising speed increased by 3 mph and it has been a contributor, not the only factor, in a huge improvement in my hill climbing.

Another aspect is adaptability and uses. I recently bought a winter bike for £3000+. Sounds outrageous for a winter bike. It would be except we chose a frame and set up which gives me a winter/gravel/touring bike and would also make a decent summer bike. So 3-4 bikes in one.

Paying £5-10k for a bike would be very hard for me and I doubt I'll ever need to. The reason is this. I think, for example, 105 is very adequate for my needs. I've watched too many friends struggle with Di2 so I want traditional shifting. Therefore I'm unlikely to invest huge sums in Ultegra and Di2 as I see no benefit to MY cycling.

Show me a frame and wheels which will improve my riding and pleasure and I'm sold on it.

I recently spent £500 on a secondhand Cannondale. Why? It will fit perfectly the use I have in mind, it's a beautiful bike and I've always lusted after a Cannondale. It isn't about price, it's about purpose, benefit and pleasure in equal quantity.

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Give Hambini a watch on Youtube, he'll show you how good a high-end super-duper all singing dancing bike frame is... :laugh:
I'd never heard of this guy so I checked YouTube. I've no idea if he's any good or simply a wind up and whether or not he expects to be taken seriously.

Within a minute he's described a woman as having "huge f****** knockers." I gave him another five minutes of similar language and binned him and his attitudes.

Top Bottom