How much is too much?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
One big fear with a £10,000 bike is that you'll look like the guy with all the gear and no idea.
That can be said for any purchase really!?
Does a 50+year old born-again-biker really need a 190mph+ Hyper Sports bike?
Does a 50+ year old mid-life-crisis type really need a Porsche 911?
Does an Angler really need to spend £3k on a Pole?
So long as they're used who cares?
A mate of mine has 10 bikes.These inlude a 90s Pinarello,a 90s Fondriest and a 90s Colnago.The Colnago was bought from a seller in Italy on ebay and has never seen British Tarmac.It has been hung on his bedroom wall for the last 14 years!His last purchase was a £1000 Pro carbon from Planet X in 2019 for a trip to Mallorca.He rarely rides and the Pro Carbon was only ridden for that week!

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
A 50+ year old can still get maximum performance out of a hyper sports (motor) bike, a Porsche or a pole. He'd struggle in a cat 4 race on a top-end pedal bike.

A 50+ year old can still get maximum performance out of a hyper sports (motor) bike, a Porsche or a pole. He'd struggle in a cat 4 race on a top-end pedal bike.
No 50 year old can get max performance out of a hyper sports motor bike unless its on a track and his name is John Mcguiness (not yet 50) or Ron Haslam. Average person of riding ability would struggle to get 50% and never come close to a modern bikes limits
I have a bike that does 150mph, has lean angle ABS, multi traction control modes, track modes, anti wheelie blab blah blah. Do I need it, is it necessary, can I find the limits of the bike and ride to them ? No on all counts but thats what a modern bike is now. So because I dont need it I shouldnt buy it

Last edited:

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
No 50 year old can get max performance out of a hyper sports motor bike unless its on a track and his name is John Mcguiness (not yet 50) or Ron Haslam. Average person of riding ability would struggle to get 50% and never come close to a modern bikes limits
I have a bike that does 150mph, has lean angle ABS, multi traction control modes, track modes, anti wheelie blab blah blah. Do I need it, is it necessary, can I find the limits of the bike and ride to them ? No on all counts but thats what a modern bike is now. So because I dont need it I shouldnt buy it
Same for the Porsche.Mr average would end up on it's roof in a ditch well before the car hit it's limits if driving on the road!
A keen amateur Angler won't fish any better with a pole that's £3k as opposed to one that's £1K.it's a skill/dedication/talent thing.
I shoot Air rifles.My set up was around £1500 new.Indoor I like to think I'm quite good.Am I any better with a £3-4K competition rifle.....er no.I'm simply not good enough to compete at the highest level.I'd still like a really nice rifle though:okay:
There's literally dozens of things we have in everyday life that we don't use to full potential but we still buy them.

Same for the Porsche.Mr average would end up on it's roof in a ditch well before the car hit it's limits if driving on the road!
As I see it, the point is that Mr Porsche could get the thing up-to 155mph* with no skill. And he could turn all the gadgets on, and drool over the leather etc ... So at least in his mind, he is making use of the extra features.

I have absolutely no idea what car Mr @Dogtrousers would drive :wacko:

*While the future next Lewis Hamilton is blown into the weeds in his £8k little boys car.

Oh dear. I fear now that I'm not worthy of my Spa Steel Audax bike because I wouldn't be able to ride PBP or LEL.

I'd better go and trade it in for a crap bike to match my crapness. To guard against the off chance that someone I don't know whose opinion I don't care about might think I have all the gear and no idea.
I have just been into my garage and removed the left pedal from my 300 quid single speed I bought 4 years ago. I also cocked the handlebars slightly out of line, buckled the rear wheel, removed a few spokes and ensured the chain falls off every few hundred yards whilst trying to pedal with one foot..... now it matches my crap ness and I feel better I have a purchase that suits my ability. The Mason Resolution will be up for sale immediately but only to be sold to some one who can prove they have an entry to at a minimum the C2C in a day but preferably the Transcontinental race otherwise they don’t need or deserve so cannot have.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Oh dear. I fear now that I'm not worthy of my Spa Steel Audax bike because I wouldn't be able to ride PBP or LEL.

I'd better go and trade it in for a crap bike to match my crapness. To guard against the off chance that someone I don't know whose opinion I don't care about might think I have all the gear and no idea.

Of course you can attempt LEL on whatever bike you have. The beauty of audax , no one looks down on you, whether you succeed or fail in your endeavour.

Top Bottom