How Much Will You Be Paying For Your Christmas Turkey?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I don't know precisely yet....its ordered from the local butcher, approx 6kg, but it depends on what sizes he gets and how he allocates them to orders /reservations. They were about £11/kg last year, expect they will be somewhere between that and £12 this year.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Of course.

I don't imagine people who are using food banks have ever been able to afford fresh whole turkeys.

Not even the £28 supermarket ones for the same 4Kg size. Just checked Tesco, and their cheapest are £5.00/kilo, their most expensive (organic Free range Bronze) £14/Kg. So £20 for a 4Kg from their cheapest range, £56 for the nearest equivalent to the one at the start of the thread.

A 2.5Kg basic turkey (enough to feed 6 supposedly) would be £12.50 - so jut under £2.10 per person. Not that excessive for something supposed to be a treat.
Loads of people now use food banks, a lot of people in work as well due to the cost of living crisis. Even professional people, so I think at some point they may well have been able to afford a fresh whole Turkey if they wanted one.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Nothing - SIL is cooking this year as we did it last year. Might get a small roast 'something' for Boxing Day. I'll be doing home made soup for Xmas Day.

Alex321

Veteran
Loads of people now use food banks, a lot of people in work as well due to the cost of living crisis. Even professional people, so I think at some point they may well have been able to afford a fresh whole Turkey if they wanted one.

I obviously wan't clear enough there, since you seem to have misinterpreted it the same way Joffey did :sad:

I was not suggesting that no person who is now using a foodbank has ever been able to afford turkey.

I was saying there has never been a time when somebody in need of a foodbank can at the same time, afford to buy turkey.

To suggest that nobody using foodbanks has ever previiously been affluent enough to do so would be such a ridiculous suggestion, I am really surprised anybody could have thought that is what I meant.

vickster

Legendary Member
Nothing, I guess my Christmas salmon en croute will be about a fiver though :smile:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I remember my mum always getting a huge fresh turkey. They tasted different then. We had turkey dinner. Turkey sandwiches. Turkey stew. Turkey soup. Nothing went to waste back them :laugh:

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I obviously wan't clear enough there, since you seem to have misinterpreted it the same way Joffey did :sad:

I was not suggesting that no person who is now using a foodbank has ever been able to afford turkey.

I was saying there has never been a time when somebody in need of a foodbank can at the same time, afford to buy turkey.

To suggest that nobody using foodbanks has ever previiously been affluent enough to do so would be such a ridiculous suggestion, I am really surprised anybody could have thought that is what I meant.

It was very badly written , read it through again perhaps...?

Top Bottom