How Much Will You Be Paying For Your Christmas Turkey?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm with @vickster on the salmon en croute thing being delicious, and with @oldwheels on the 'not paying much attention to Christmas' thing.

So I already have two packs of salmon in puff pastry parcels - one with dill and cream, t'other with summat else, I've forgotten what - and some icecream with cinnamon-spiced apple puree, all frozen, from Lidl. Had similar salmon last year and it's extremely yummy, as well as easy and convenient to cook. No reason that - xmas or not - I shouldn't eat delicious food and if this is the time of year that it's most easily available, then this is the time of year I'll buy it.

Also makes me seem a bit more 'normal' in casual conversation with neighbours; it's considered much more acceptable to have salmon en croute than it is to say you had sausage and mash (a few years ago, a friend slaughtered one of her home-reared rare-breed pigs shortly before xmas, and gave me the choice of Peregrine's chops or sausages) or scrambled eggs - even if the scrambled eggs are with smoked salmon and fresh new potatoes...

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Here's one for you...

Take the meat off the bone - you'll have two breasts so two joints. Butterfly out each breast, fill with a stuffing of choice (sage & onion, cranberry & orange, whatever floats your boat), roll up, and then roll up in bacon. You may need to string each joint, but that's easy.

Then 20 mins per 450g plus an extra 15 to 20 depending on your oven.

Leave to rest before slicing.

Bones go for stock, and a good pot of soup.

I see an issue here, its already frozen so splitting it and keeping half for another day could be an issue, unless Biggs has a decent axe or chain-saw....

Dave7

Legendary Member
Woke up with a wonderful idea.
In the freezer I have duck breasts, roast spuds, Yorkshire puds and various veg.
Not sure what I will say if my daughter and family insist on coming and making lunch........I genuinely love them all but a quiet day with some recorded films sounds good.

Either easy just a puff pastry top with turkey ham leeks and mushrooms or sometime individual ones for party buffet with short crust base and a puff top. They might even get half a pig in blanket and a dab of cranberry sauce in them too!

I do have a dolly to raise a HWC through

Now that sounds good. I've done similar when I've had a job lot of really cheap cooked turkey and ham off the (now long gone) deli counter in Tesco.

I will admit that I cheat and use bought puff pastry. :blush: In fact, there's a block of pastry on my shopping list, as it's something I always have in over the hols. I'm thinking salmon-en-croute a la @vickster or @KnittyNorah for Christmas Eve... With home made pesto maybe.

I'm with @vickster on the salmon en croute thing being delicious, and with @oldwheels on the 'not paying much attention to Christmas' thing.

So I already have two packs of salmon in puff pastry parcels - one with dill and cream, t'other with summat else, I've forgotten what - and some icecream with cinnamon-spiced apple puree, all frozen, from Lidl. Had similar salmon last year and it's extremely yummy, as well as easy and convenient to cook. No reason that - xmas or not - I shouldn't eat delicious food and if this is the time of year that it's most easily available, then this is the time of year I'll buy it.

Also makes me seem a bit more 'normal' in casual conversation with neighbours; it's considered much more acceptable to have salmon en croute than it is to say you had sausage and mash (a few years ago, a friend slaughtered one of her home-reared rare-breed pigs shortly before xmas, and gave me the choice of Peregrine's chops or sausages) or scrambled eggs - even if the scrambled eggs are with smoked salmon and fresh new potatoes...

Peregrine's chops, deffo! :hungry:

Braised in cider with onion & mustard, clapshot and an array of veggies on the side, and some pan-fried apple slices with rosemary and chilli.

I see an issue here, its already frozen so splitting it and keeping half for another day could be an issue, unless Biggs has a decent axe or chain-saw....

LOL! :laugh:

It does help somewhat if it gets defrosted first. ;) Besides, you want one for the poncy dinner, and t'other for cold cuts and sandwiches!

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Seriously.....not to put a dampner on things as I have enjoyed this thread BUT I have literally just realised that I have no idea what I will be eating. 1st time in 55 years I will be on my own**.
For some reason a nice, thick gamon steak comes to mind or maybe (as Vickster) a salmon en croute.
**I could be with my daughter and family but think I will prefer to chill in peace :rolleyes:

Yes, you may well need some alone-time with your own (pleasant) thoughts of your time with Sue.

I think I would want that tbh in your situation. 'First' calender events are always tough.

How about you let your family know that you want/need this on Xmas day and let them know you will hook-up with them for a few hours in the evening maybe, or even the next day?

Peregrine's chops? enlighten me - I thought a Peregrine was a falcon?

Peregrine was the name of my friend's pig which was slaughtered shortly before Christmas a couple of years ago. She gave me the choice between chops or local butcher-made sausages. His littermate, Percival, was slaughtered at Easter and I had chops from him. Several of their sisters are still living, indeed thriving, as they can contribute to making the rare breed less rare .... One of the boars from the litter went to another breeder of the rare breed, as he was a magnificent specimen, but too closely related to Shirley's other pigs.

Just ordered ours this morning, 6kg with stuffing which is typically £130 for a fresh bird.

Cheapest meat based meal we‘ll have all year considering how many meals we’ll get off it.

Top Bottom