How much wind is too much wind?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
60mph gusts here now, can hear it barrelling round the back of the house. Will take the car tomorrow I think :ohmy:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
40mph gusts here, and Heidi, the little beagle, kept getting blown about while on her walk with Maximilian. Quite a bit of rain here as well. Maybe snow by Saturday.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I decided, last night, that 50-60mph gusts was too much wind. I decided this when I took the recycling out and the recycle box was whipped from my hands by the wind and then I spent the next 10 minutes chasing the recycling around the front garden.

image.jpeg
Oh it's bouncing down today. Sod the wind, I ain't riding in that

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
I did a few laps of the park last night and I am so glad I wasn't using the 46mm wheels :smile: Nearly at a dead stop in places. Though the bits where I hardly had to pedal almost made up for it.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I tend to commute in whatever the weather throws at me, but when it's gusting at 45mph it probably isn't sensible. I've got a group ride planned for the weekend, but if the forecast of 40mph winds is accurate, I'll not be going out.

Siclo

Veteran
Last night's wobbles were definitely not of the tactical variety, although for once no-one had any objections to my commuting buddy and myself laying claim to the cycle "lane" ( all 14 inches of it) and the whole of the nearside lane outside Stretford mall. I must have missed the adverse conditions truce declared memo.

Ah well could be worse, haven't been hit by a flying car port this year.

BEHMOTH66

I came home in the 50mph winds last night but it was at my back so it was great thoroughly recommend it got to my destination in record time

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
From my ride today: I decided to do a test to see just how bad the wind was - doing 26mph I stopped pedaling, letting the bike freewheel. Despite going downhill, within 100 yards my speed had slowed to just 11mph.

Honestly, it was like putting the brakes on - good job I was only a mile or two from home at that point!

sarahale

Über Member
I didn't think the wind was as bad as they had predicted today! I've never not cycled because of the wind but I think I have got off and pushed once or twice just as it seems easier when it is really that bad. Coming over a roundabout once I got blown straight over which wasnt fun.

When I was a kid I had part of an oak tree fall ontop of me, its not something I wish to repeat so I'm wary of where I cycle when its windy.

RichardB

Slightly retro
I've skipped the last two nights commuting because of the forecast - 64mph gusts on Tuesday night and 45 mph gusts tonight. The main worry is the trees - most of my commute is along lanes with a lot of trees either next to the road or overhead, and I'm not sure I would like an unplanned encounter with one. I have the choice of an old Ford Mondeo or an even older MX-5. "Which car are you going in?" "The one with a proper roof!"

Top Bottom