How much wind is too much wind?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Up to 20mph is ok , after that its just going to be miserable

iggibizzle

Commuted in anything up to 60mph over last winter. It's been 40+ Mph in blackpool today anyway. I'm just used to it. Only problem is being on the coast, you can't choose which way to head out on a normal ride. Just have to deal with the almost inevitable blasting headwind on way back in.

Sharky

Guru
Well it's going to be decision time tomorrow morning. Am planning to ride the CC Bexley reliability trial and looking at the bbc weather, there will be winds at 41mph until lunchtime, then it drops to trivial 20mph.

I think I will try and ride out to the HQ and if too strong, have a cuppa and ride back.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
It depends on the direction, a pure headwind I can take quite a bit, things just take a bit longer! Side-winds, especially gusty side-winds are much more dangerous (for me), I've nearly ended up being blown into either the verge or passing cars with sudden gust, not fun.
i won't commute if there's gusting cross-winds; the idea of getting blown into a juggernaut approaching behind in the other lane just isn't worth the risk.

i've even been blown off the bike (at low speed) outside my workplace; it's a skyscraper that causes a wind-tunnel effect in the adjacent side street (miller street and dantzic street, manchester). on that occasion, all 11kg of bike was lifted into the air and i had to grab it to prevent it blowing away :ohmy:

JoshM

If they close the bridge to cyclists I'll opt for another mode of transport, otherwise I'll cycle. You just have to allow extra time and accept you'll not be making any new personal bests that day.

Feel really alive when out in stormy weather.

PK99

Legendary Member
My ride last Monday was too much fecking wind!

30 miles to Windsor into a stiff headwind with the autumn leaves bowling along the road toward me.

Bacon sarnie and Americano and home again, into a stiff headwind with the autumn leaves bowling along the road toward me!

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Went out on Thursday and for probably the first time ever I felt that maybe I should get off the bike and walk

Saddleworth Moor is about 1500ft up and there is absolutely zero protection. 40mph minimum side winds for about 6 miles. Blowing me into the middle of the road. Luckily I'm a fairly stocky guy so I managed to keep going.....just. I'm a bit of a reckless cyclist but even I thought maybe this was a bad idea

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I've ridden up the LF1 coast path in Holland five times. It's just 30 miles or so from Hoek van Holland to Zandvoort, every one of them with a grey North Sea on your left elbow, and a hateful head wind straight in your face. It saps morale. The sense of relief when you turn right through 90 degrees towards Amsterdam is one of the most delicious sensations a cyclist could wish for. I really don't like headwinds, especially with panniers on the back.

Sharky

Guru
Well it's going to be decision time tomorrow morning. Am planning to ride the CC Bexley reliability trial and looking at the bbc weather, there will be winds at 41mph until lunchtime, then it drops to trivial 20mph.

I think I will try and ride out to the HQ and if too strong, have a cuppa and ride back.
Well took the easy option and stayed at home.

Top Bottom