How much wind is too much wind?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Wind is wind, the only difference I would make is to head into it first, however living right on the East coast that is not always possible.

I took my fixed out into St Jude's storm we had a few years ago and that was gusting at more than 70 and that was "interesting"

Hyslop

Veteran
As per @Mugshot, if I didn't ride in some of the wind speeds mentioned upthread I'd have hardly ridden this year.:blink: It's barely let up since last autumn and I really didn't expect to still be riding in 20 mph gusting to 30+ winds in the height of summer (as per this week :wacko:).

Will someone please turn it down a bit now.:cry:
+1

Karlt

Work doesn't get any closer if it's windy, so I have to suck it up. I think the worst I've done it in was 25mph with 45-50mph gusts. A bit hairy, but never felt so alive.

As per @Mugshot, if I didn't ride in some of the wind speeds mentioned upthread I'd have hardly ridden this year.:blink: It's barely let up since last autumn and I really didn't expect to still be riding in 20 mph gusting to 30+ winds in the height of summer (as per this week :wacko:).

Will someone please turn it down a bit now.:cry:
You could ask the wind farms to switch their fans to blow!

gavgav

Guru
I haven't known a year of constant wind like this in years. 35 mph + gusts tends to be my cue to cancel a ride. I have done a ride in 45mph gusts last year and wouldn't do it again!!

Hyslop

Veteran
Certainly has been a windy year.One thing Ive learned is that given the fact that there is rarely a point on any ride when I am not on the top of a hill of some kind,then I can use the turbines(and there are plenty of them!)to judge wind conditions further along my route and adapt accordingly.If yesterday was anything to go by,Cumbria was having a breezy day whilst Dumfriesshire seemed about to take off!So.if you were riding around Annan yesterday I hope all went well.It seems The Great Coastal Tour was heading that way,hope they made it Anyone seen them by the way? I did, In Burgh and no one seemed very happy!!

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
55 mph gusts with what I think was about 35 mph constant was the strongest I've rode in so far. It was easily managed though, just about being alert and ready, adapting your riding style to suit. I can remember tanking down one of the local hills at a whopping 7 mph pedalling my legs off!

postman

Legendary Member
Old bloke here.I scour the weather web sites before i go out.So many say different things on the same day,strange.But wind wise 15 is my not going out point.

Several of my loops involve riding up and down the North East coast.

As a general rule, if there is a headwind, it will be on the way back down.

The question is how much wind is too much wind to venture out?

I suspect like many of us, I usually check the BBC website.

Up to 10mph can be safely ignored, but after that things get more tricky.

About 12mph is OK, but if the Beeb is saying 15mph or more, I'm reluctant to ride.

How do you judge wind before going out?

If the wind is visible from space:

256px-Hurricane_Linda_12_sept_1997_2100Z.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSjFNe8_GJcRXg_BHX4ntGTsk_nI0dEOA3V1NibaByc-YtkWTeNvg.jpg

main-qimg-fab2cd8c12a98dd2b51ff638e529a1fa

Then its too much.

Actually its the rain that bothers me most. Absolutely despise it but I can cope better if its a bit windy (within reason).

Orangreen

Regular
Wind speeds of 20mph+. I find steady winds bearable but agree with summerdays on the gust speed. I went for a ride in early spring and the wind wasn't particularly strong, but it was a cold northerly. Another rider passed me and said "that wind's a bit cheeky". Feeling a bit sapped of energy I took to the cycle path and thought of the tailwind on the way back.:blush: Perfect description by the other rider though :laugh:

Hyslop

Veteran
I have a feeling that tomorrow is likely to be one of those "climb leeward slopes like a rocket but struggle to go downhill" days.TheMet Office predict 45mph gusts!

Top Bottom