How much wind is too much wind?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kiriyama

I'm pretty light weight so wind effects me quite a lot. That being said I will happily ride up onto the un-sheltered moors in the peak district it's just a different kind of challenge. I only start to get concerned on fast decents where a gust can send you flying across the road! I tend to bottle it and slow down considerably in these situations!

I find head winds annoy me more on my commutes. Especially when I have to pedal In low gears downhill...

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Gets to be less of a pleasure and more of a pain above 30 mph, the wind. But it rather depends on what I have to do. Just riding, I'll quit at about 35mph. Grocery store or other errands, I'll keep going until 40 mph or so.

Strong wind on north west coast this morning heading onto Morecambe coast road. Hard work on SS but all the more satisfying sat at Ruth's with a brew and cake

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Rode home at lunchtime to beat the incoming storm.

It caught me at Lewisham Hospital.

Blowy, but not as bad as I feared. I did get a good dousing though.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
25mph headwind and torrential rain for me today all the way home.
At the time I felt miserable, It's one of the few times I wished I'd driven in. Now however I feel quite good about myself for persevering, legs are killing though.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Didn't cycle today as I had some business to attend to straight after work. Hearing the warehouse creaking and groaning in the gusts from lunchtime onwards I didn't feel too upset at leaving the bike at home this time.:ohmy:

gavgav

Guru
I cycled in 40mph gusts on Sunday and won't be making a habit of it! Scary when coming from the side, nice when behind and ruddy hard work when a headwind!!

Emergency e-mail came out at work this afternoon to say fence on the back car park had blown into cars! Luckily I was in the side car park

gavgav

Guru
66mph recorded here in Shropshire, with multiple trees down and dad's next door neighbours car port roof is now in bits in dads garage after landing in the garden :eek:

Top Bottom