How much would i save if i sold my car?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyfromotley

I have a 52 citroen c3 1.1, we have another family car.

Given my return to cycling i am having a tiny ponder about wether or not i should get rid of my car. If so how much would/could i save? I have no finance on it.

so.....

VEL £125
Insurance £200
Mot £50
Service £140

Its kind of hard to say about mileage, Before i started cycling i guess 10-12,000 a year. Maybe 8000 less.

So pre cycling days i'm saying £30 per week on fuel x 47 weeks

£1400 fuel

£1915 total so far...

Depreciaton of the asset i have...No idea?

Any one know how i can work this out?

Andy

domd1979

Veteran
Something like:

http://www.whatcar.co.uk/valuations.aspx

will give you an idea of current value, so depreciation so far will be the difference between that and what you bought it for. Plus if you sell it and bung the dosh in the bank you gain interest.

andyfromotley said:
Depreciaton of the asset i have...No idea?

Any one know how i can work this out?

Andy

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Say £1k per year for a small car... loads drops off any new car as it drives off the fore court......

I have toyed with the idea, but still like my car and it's reliable, bigger than my wife's Yaris, so great for longer trips, but over the last 12 months, only gets driven at weekends....

It's not really costing me much, so intend to keep it -yes it's dropping in value......

Can't help really...... how much would one car affect what you can do...for us it would stop / restrict any quick local (yes I know) travel with the young kids when my wife is out visiting her sick mother.... it's just convenience for us...

That said, I have no intention of replacing either car for a long long time....(so that's GREEN) - I'll get another bike before that.....

bonj2

it's prob'ly worth about a grand maybe, grand n' half at a push, if mint.
If you dont' need it for the everyday run of the mill commute, and have use of another car for more occasional trips, then you probably don't need the car so will save at least something. But simply the very fact that you're trying to work out how much you will save, sounds as if the amount that it will save has to matter, for it to be 'worth' getting rid of, which makes me think you will miss it if you got rid of it. If that's the case, I'd advise keeping it.

PBancroft

Keep it for a year, regardless. If you find you still need to use it, then you've still got it.

The thing with the amount saved is whether or not you are truly saving it - if you just shuffle costs from the car to the bike it's irrelevant. I made a rubbish spreadsheet to justify spending when balanced against costs of petrol. Maybe do something similar? That way you will know over the course of the year how much you have truly saved, regardless of the fixed costs of car ownership.

domtyler

Über Member
How often are you using it? Living in London and me cycling to work we can get away with owning one small car, my wife's V reg Corsa. She uses it every day for work and for shopping etc. Our daughter goes to nursery on the back of my bike but gets picked up in the car.

If we need to go any distance or go somewhere overnight then we almost always hire a big estate or people carrier and we have a hire place just two minutes drive away.

I think overall this is an ideal solution for us, especially as we don't presently have any off street parking.

Top Bottom