How much would you pay for a beer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User169

Ferran Adria of El Bulli is about to launch his beer in the UK. It will cost 10-15 GBP a bottle, so about the same as a pretty decent bottle of wine.

What do you reckon - would you fork out that much on a beer?

For what it's worth, I think it's a pretty poor beer. I tried it in Spain when I last there and it's basically an under-powered (guardian reviewer says "delicate") Belgian Wit. If you've got access to Hoegaarden, I can't see why you'd bother with the El Bulli version.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
The Guardian also reviews the wonderfully named 'BrewDog Tactical Nuclear Penguin' at a cool £35 for a 330ml bottle. I think I need a drink...

OP
OP
U

User169

[quote name='swee'pea99' date='15 July 2010 - 14:00:23' timestamp='1279198823' post='1329096']
The Guardian also reviews the wonderfully named 'BrewDog Tactical Nuclear Penguin' at a cool £35 for a 330ml bottle. I think I need a drink...
[/quote]

That one I would like to try. I saw a bottle of it on sale in Amsterdam for 65 EUR, but couldn't bring myself to buy it!

BSRU

A Human Being
Ferran Adria of El Bulli is about to launch his beer in the UK. It will cost 10-15 GBP a bottle, so about the same as a pretty decent bottle of wine.

What do you reckon - would you fork out that much on a beer?

You could buy 10 cans of special brew, "the party in a can", for that, probably tastes better as well.

OP
OP
U

User169

And I thought I was being ripped off when I was last in a pub and being charged £3 a pint for heavy!

I paid 15 EUR in a bar recently for one of these:

westvleteren+12+1.JPG

Worth every cent!

If I buy a can of Guinness in the local shop it costs about £1 (just a tad under a pint).
If I go in the pub accross the road to the pub, the man puts it in a glass for me and charges me £3.

The landlord then wonders why he has an empty pub and hundreds of pubs are closing!

So answering the op - I am ok at £1 but find £3 a bit much.

OP
OP
U

User169

If I buy a can of Guinness in the local shop it costs about £1 (just a tad under a pint).
If I go in the pub accross the road to the pub, the man puts it in a glass for me and charges me £3.

The landlord then wonders why he has an empty pub and hundreds of pubs are closing!

So answering the op - I am ok at £1 but find £3 a bit much.

The landlord is likely forced to buy Guinness from a BrewCo at a hugely inflated price. The local shop likely sells at a price point where it doesn't make any, or very little, profit.

brockers

I paid 15 EUR in a bar recently for one of these:

westvleteren+12+1.JPG

Worth every cent!

Holy Mark Up Batman! Don't they buy it from the hatch in the St Sixtus Monastery for 1 EUR a bottle ?

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I couldn't pay that for a beer DP. I squirm at paying over a tenner for a bottle of wine!

Is that Westvleteren beer the one from Sint Sixtus abbey? Excuse the spelling!
If so, I went there last year but didn't pay that much in the 'canteen'

brockers

I couldn't pay that for a beer DP. I squirm at paying over a tenner for a bottle of wine!

Is that Westvleteren beer the one from Sint Sixtus abbey? Excuse the spelling!
If so, I went there last year but didn't pay that much in the 'canteen'

Aye. Apparently only a few EUR at the 'In de Vrede' canteen. Mind you a good substite for Westy 12 is said to be St Barnardus (same recipe, but brewed down the road from the St Sixtus monastery in Poperinge), and available in the UK.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Aye. Apparently only a few EUR at the 'In de Vrede' canteen. Mind you a good substite for Westy 12 is said to be St Barnardus (same recipe, but brewed down the road from the St Sixtus monastery in Poperinge), and available in the UK.

I had a 12, 8 and a 6 I think just to compare!

Top Bottom