How much!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Caskman

Does anyone else look at the price of cycle clothing and go ha ha ha ha ha. As a notorious tightarse it never fails to amuse me the lengths manufacturers go to in order to part us from our cash, citing a wealth of technical mumbo jumbo to back up their hyper inflated prices. I do realise there is a lot of disposable cash floating around the cycling world now but never in a gazillion years would l spend stupid money on said product. I now stand ready to be shot down in flames by all and sundry.

bpsmith

Veteran
Everyone has their own opinion. I tend to buy Castelli gear, albeit in the sales so that it costs a lot less. There are lots of ways in which to save.

Having actual experience of the kit in question, the materials are more breathable, a lot better at wicking away sweat, the fit is better and the quality remains after many many washes.

Whether it's worth the difference in cost, is clearly down to the individuals opinion. I would, and have, certainly recommended Castelli kit to my friends and they are happy too.

Does that mean your opinion is wrong, definitely not. Whatever floats your boat.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Buy it in sales, simple. I have some expensive stuff (and bikes) and some cheap stuff. I didn't spend big money on the commuting stuff as you wear it out quickly, but the bike was expensive for a 'fixed gear'.

U

User33236

I've got some higher end kit I use on club rides etc and cheaper clobber for commuting it.

Yes, there is a difference. Is it worth it? In my opinion yes it is.

My wife buys a lot of Rapha stuff and loves it. I'm not a huge fan of their muted colours so go for other brands.

screenman

Legendary Member
I am waiting for a fool and his money and all that stuff. I buy what I like at the time, cheap one year less so the next depends on how the mood takes me.

I am not sure most cycle clothing maufacturers are making millions, maybe the odd few.

Tynan

Veteran
if you're patient and stingy and keep an eye out you can pick up decent stuff on clearance, the top dollar stuff is like a lot of other sports and activity, what the traffic will bear, fishing is the same, you can spend as much as you want to on anything

Kajjal

Guru
The prices vary over time for the same items as they try to hit every price point from those with more money than sense and then tighter people like myself. Most of my stuff is half price or cheaper.

U

User33236

if you're patient and stingy and keep an eye out you can pick up decent stuff on clearance, the top dollar stuff is like a lot of other sports and activity, what the traffic will bear, fishing is the same, you can spend as much as you want to on anything
Unfortunately if, like me, you are average build for an amateur cyclist all the clearance stuff is usually for larger sizes or folk with tiny feet.

Jimidh

Veteran
There is a difference between more expensive kit and cheap kit, not just in function but also in fit and appearances

I don't mind spending money but I always buy winter kit in the summer and summer kit in the winter - there is usually good bargains to be had.

I got myself a couple of Gore Jerseys and a jacket last year and they are fantastic pieces of kit - but I paid 30-40% off full prices.

Tynan

Veteran
yes indeed,granted but still ... I picked up two pairs of bib shorts earlier in the year, oneno name but perfectly decent for £10 and a reallt really nice One On pair for £20, still gurgling with delight

screenman

Legendary Member
yes indeed,granted but still ... I picked up two pairs of bib shorts earlier in the year, oneno name but perfectly decent for £10 and a reallt really nice One On pair for £20, still gurgling with delight

If you are talking about the PlanetX stuff, well those shorts do not work for me at all. In fact I think there are two brand new pairs in the cycling drawer that were bought for me.

vickster

Legendary Member
I spend more on cycling kit probably than other equivalent clothing, but I do tend to buy the more expensive stuff when reduced

I don't have an insignificant disposable income and it's my main hobby and recreation so why not. Can't take it with me and you get bog all interest on savings

Guess it depends what is meant by stupid money. I have friends who spend hundreds on shoes. I spend £3k plus on a 2 week holiday every other year, sometimes every year. I'm not daft enough to have children ;)

bpsmith

Veteran
Based on the fact that the more expensive kit tends to last longer, is it really more expensive?

Unrelated, but with the same arguments against always made, I still run a 2006 iMac. Aside from an SSD drive, it's completely stock. Prior to that, I was upgrading every 18 months. More expensive outlay, but cheaper per year than before.

screenman

Legendary Member
Does anyone else look at the price of cycle clothing and go ha ha ha ha ha. As a notorious tightarse it never fails to amuse me the lengths manufacturers go to in order to part us from our cash, citing a wealth of technical mumbo jumbo to back up their hyper inflated prices. I do realise there is a lot of disposable cash floating around the cycling world now but never in a gazillion years would l spend stupid money on said product. I now stand ready to be shot down in flames by all and sundry.

Out of interest, what do you do with your^_^ stupid money?

Top Bottom