How often do you do a century bike ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'll be doing a century bike ride this Saturday. I've realized it has been about 8 years since I've done one. I'm doing it on a whim of just wanting to do it. I'll be riding solely on a rail trail primarily made up of crushed limestone and using a heavy mountain bike. I have a road bike, I just want to see if I can do it with the MTB.

But it got me thinking of a good topic for this forum.

How often do you do a century bike ride?

I know of some who try to get one each month. I think that's possible but still pretty tough!

I might try to focus on one or two a year to start out.

I'm interested in seeing what everyone else has to say :smile:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Not often. I score 70 on the Eddington scale. Doing a century is not physically difficult for me. Its the time constraints.

We do have an Imperial century a month challenge on here.

Last edited:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Once a year or so. I can only manage about 70 miles in daylight before debilitating cramp, so they tend to be at night when it's cooler.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
A few times a year maybe? Don't really keep a count of the frequency but do record a ride log so could soon look it up.
Biggest bar to doing century rides is the time it takes. Did do two in one day a few months ago.....

Seventeen so far this year, the last one being yesterday. That's probably it for the year now due to hours of daylight and general weather.

Most of those are down to doing the annual Lunacy Challenge, but some, such as yesterday's, are about getting from A to B where A and B are over a hundred miles apart. And some are down to an imperial century being less than 200km, that being my 'big ride' target.

tyred

Legendary Member
I've done eight since my first in 2019, none this year as I lost a lot of fitness after an accident. I hope to do one early next year.

I found time is the biggest problem as a 100 mile ride for me is really an all-day affair as I'm not that fast, I live somewhere very hilly and I like to stop for photos and to examine anything of interest I come across.

17 in total, 2 in 2019, 1 in 2020, 8 in 2021, 6 this year.

I can recommend Colin's imperials, Garforth and York-Hull are a good introduction and not crazy fast or difficult.

Last edited:
Couple of times a year. Maybe more if I'm racing that distance.

With the nights drawing in in the UK I think it'll be next Spring before I'm tempted again.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
If I’m doing audax RRTY then I’ll be doing a minimum of a 130 mile ride every month. If I’m not doing audax RRTY then it’ll be about six times or so a year I’ll do a ride of 100 miles or more. When cycle touring I’ve settled on about 70/80 miles a day as a nice amount, time for a good breakfast, lunch, time for diversions and not too late to my destination for the day.

If you asked metric century then that’ll be most months and when touring or I have a free week you will see metric centuries for a few days in a row.

Last edited:
Top Bottom