How often should you pump your tires?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
One good other good reason for not pumping your tyres up to the maximum stated tyre pressure is that if you are using light weight wheels, the maximum permitted pressure of the rim may well be a lot lower the stated max tyre pressure (e.g. Mavic Open Pro says 87 psi). I also know that it is very easy to inflate a tyre up to a pressure that will cause the rim to blow!
I’ve done 7000 miles or so on Mavic Open Pro 36h rims. At around 90kg (or previously more), I go for 100psi or so. I’ve barely had a puncture and there’s nothing wrong with the rims. Trued a couple of times, most recently thanks to an unseen bit of twisty wire that wrapped around the hub, snapped the rear mech and knackered the chain!

Ajax Bay

Guru
One other good reason for not pumping your tyres up to the maximum stated tyre pressure is that if you are using light weight wheels, the maximum permitted pressure of the rim may well be a lot lower the stated max tyre pressure (e.g. Mavic Open Pro says 87 psi).
Exploding Open Pro rims, Batman (Will)!!
It'd be a reason if the rim used did have such a limitation, but maybe find a better/valid example.
Mavic Open Pro C Rim

wheel size:28" (29") (622mm)
tire type:Wire Bead Tire, Folding Tire
tire pressure:6.4-9.5bar [90-130psi]
fitting tire dimensions:23-32mm
ETRTO:15-622

https://www.bike24.com/p2146767.html

Will Spin

Über Member
Exploding Open Pro rims, Batman (Will)!!
It'd be a reason if the rim used did have such a limitation, but maybe find a better/valid example.
Mavic Open Pro C Rim

wheel size:28" (29") (622mm)
tire type:Wire Bead Tire, Folding Tire
tire pressure:6.4-9.5bar [90-130psi]
fitting tire dimensions:23-32mm
ETRTO:15-622
https://www.bike24.com/p2146767.html
Actually mine does, 87 psi is clearly printed on the rim.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
For road bikes. The recommended pressure for my bike tires is 110PSI how often do I need to pump them?

Get into the habit of checking with the intention of topping them up regularly, you will soon get to know what is normal pressure loss and when it's something extra, like a slow puncture. If I'm riding regularly then I'll check tyre pressure every other day, if I'm using latex tubes then they'll need checking every day.

One of my bikes has 28c tyres and I run them at 80psi, they tend not to lose pressure so quickly, so I can get away with not topping up for weeks, and even then the pressure has only dropped to 70psi, still rideable.

Last edited:

gbs

Guru
I think Paul SB (26 Aug) is spot on and to that I would add checking for embedded glass, flint etc - unless you enjoy the perplexity of unexpected punctures

Last edited:
Top Bottom