How often should you pump your tires?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I had a look at my wheels again it says 110-125psi on them.I weight 52kg the tire width is 25x700mm
At 52 kg that way too hard; resulting in harsh ride and loss of energy bouncing off an imperfect surface. When I was 62kg Id pump my tyres to about 95psi and leave them for a week or two before topping up. It was only when I let them fall below 70psi I'd notice sluggishness.

I now ride tubeless, weigh on average 56kg and don't notice any loss in performance (sluggishness) even at sub 40psi :okay:

Last edited:
They might say 110psi but if you want to enjoy your cycling rather than eek out every fraction of a mph, probably best keeping to around 95 or a bit less.
The OP won't actually eek out any extra speed, they'll actually loose some, unless its a perfect surface they'll be bouncing off it rather than complying with it for maximum power transfer. But you are quite right with your psi recommendation and enjoyment :okay:

roley poley

Über Member
give them a squeeze between thumb and finger ..if too squishy put air in till they aren't you decide..... what are you riding a mountain bike through mud or road bike
on tarmac ? ?

Kajjal

Guru
If pumped up rock hard you get a very uncomfortable ride and if too soft then the bike handles like it is in treacle. The trick is to find your personal preference for where you ride between the two. I just squeeze the tyres to check and after a while you get a feel for it.

You're definitely running them too high.

I check mine at least once a week. And always the night before a ride. You'd be surprised at the number of times you've got home on a slow puncture and the tyre is flat next time you want to ride.

D

Deleted member 26715

Isn't holding pressure (or not) more dependent on the tube and valve than on the tyre?
But what if the tube is slightly porous & then the tyre is sealing to the rim in a tubeless type way?

The tyres on my Brompton will require more regular attention than my 29" 45mm Schwalbe G One pair, but a quick safety check once over before every ride is still essential, whilst it will not result in finding any problems almost every day, one day it may save you from grave injury or loss of life.

If you ride only once a year, thorough weekly checks are redundant. If you ride daily, I would check every week with a presssure gauge as a minimum, but a quick touch check before every ride is still a must in case you managed to miss a puncture on your last ride. If I'm nipping 1 mile to the shops, I'll be more inclined to chance it without a check than if I'm doing my 26 mile round commute.

Always worth checking for flints after every ride, as they may eventually work their way to the tube and result in a punctured tube, assuming you don't ride tubeless. Admittedly, I haven't checked for flints in a very long time, as I ride tyres with reasonable puncture protecting layers. :whistle:

Your mileage will certainly vary, and will depend on your tolerance for risk, and how much of a pain it would be to get a pinch flat at any given time on your ride. 2 miles from home, no big deal, but I wouldn't want to push my bike 13 miles to or from work in the event my attempts at reinflation fail for whatever reason (valve core coming out with the pump for instance).

Last edited:

byegad

Legendary Member
It'll depend on the brand of the tyre too. My Marathon Plus hold their pressure really well. I don't need to check & pump them up often.

I'd suggest you start off by checking regularly and you'll get to know what they're like and how quickly they need topping up.
Erm. It's the tubes that hold the pressure, unless you've got tubeless. In my experience this can vary between according to brand and size. I ran one of my trikes with 2 of one brand of tube and 1 different . The different one needed pumping far less often than the other two, so I changed to the singleton brand of tube for all wheels. Then they all needed pluming up less often.

Top Bottom