How often should you pump your tires?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
The recommended pressure for my bike tires (sic) is 110PSI
To reiterate advice others have shared:
110psi is the 'max pressure' specified for the 25mm wide tyres: it is NOT a 'recommended pressure'.
A 52kg rider plus 10kg bike will roughly load the front and rear tyres 28kg and 34kg.
The pressures recommended for the OP's bike, whether it be in London, Edinburgh (did you get the grades?) or wherever, are: front 50psi and rear 65psi. I add 5psi on to all such readings 'for luck' (and to allow for the pump dial's calibration to be 'out'/reading high).
A prudent rider pumps 'up' tyres weekly (butyl tubes) and does a 'thumb check' before every ride (and I'd recommend every (roughly) 100km on a long ride, in case the tyre has picked up a slow puncture). Latex tubes: immediately before every ride.

Attachments

• TyreInflationPressures.pdf
    201.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

To reiterate advice others have shared:
110psi is the 'max pressure' specified for the 25mm wide tyres: it is NOT a 'recommended pressure'.
A 52kg rider plus 10kg bike will roughly load the front and rear tyres 28kg and 34kg.
The pressures recommended for the OP's bike, whether it be in London, Edinburgh (did you get the grades?) or wherever, are: front 50psi and rear 65psi. I add 5psi on to all such readings 'for luck' (and to allow for the pump dial's calibration to be 'out'/reading high).
A prudent rider pumps 'up' tyres weekly (butyl tubes) and does a 'thumb check' before every ride (and I'd recommend every (roughly) 100km on a long ride, in case the tyre has picked up a slow puncture). Latex tubes: immediately before every ride.
I got the grades and I will be going to Edinburgh in September, from the chart it looks like my recommended pressure for my tires is around 100psi.

Ajax Bay

Guru
my recommended pressure for my tires is around 100psi . . . .
are you more likely to get punctures at lower pressures?
Read the article, please: I have taken the trouble to attach it for you and use the graph, interpolating as necessary, for your riding ((52+10)kg, 25mm tyres). The load on the 'x' axis is per tyre, not the total rider + bike load. Others have given you examples and here's mine: 28mm tyres, 'randonneur' 'style' (same as yours, I assess) and 85kg total load (heavy bike ;)): 64psi front and 74psi rear (which I raise to 70/80). Lower pressures:
1) are more comfortable
2) allow maximum benefit of the possible suspension (frankly "It's all about the tyres" (not the frame or any other bits))
3) reduce hysteresis losses (in the rider's body - which converts to reduced rolling resistance) especially on rough roads
but
4) needs to have tyres 'hard' enough (allowing max 15% 'drop' under normal load) to resist a pinch puncture (which produce a typical 'snakebite' double hole/tear in the tube). See this article by the late Jobst Brandt: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/snakebites.html

Will Spin

Über Member
One good other good reason for not pumping your tyres up to the maximum stated tyre pressure is that if you are using light weight wheels, the maximum permitted pressure of the rim may well be a lot lower the stated max tyre pressure (e.g. Mavic Open Pro says 87 psi). I also know that it is very easy to inflate a tyre up to a pressure that will cause the rim to blow!

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I do the 700 x 23 tyres on my commuting fixie every 3 weeks, along with tightening the chain (it wears about 1/128" by then, which is when it appears slack). They probably go from 110 to 90psi in that time.

Fatter, lower pressure tyres can be reinflated less.

Latex tubes? About every 12 hours. And that's not riding time :laugh:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
the maximum permitted pressure of the rim may well be a lot lower the stated max tyre pressure (e.g. Mavic Open Pro says 87 psi).
Another reason not to buy them. That's truly pathetic! If you have 23mm tyres, you'll be getting snakebites galore at 87psi on the roads around here.

MntnMan62

Über Member
I check and fill my tires before each ride.

MntnMan62

Über Member
I agree that the number shown on your tires is a max pressure number if it is shown as a single number. If it is shown as a range, then anywhere in between the low and high number would work. As others have said, you need to take into account your own weight, the kind of riding you're doing and what kind of comfort level you wish to feel while riding. I typically will fill my front tire to just under 100 psi and my rear tire to just over 100psi.

gavgav

Guru
Surely it’s common sense that you should check your tyre pressures before every ride and if they are below the recommended level then pump them up to it?!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Surely it’s common sense that you should check your tyre pressures before every ride and if they are below the recommended level then pump them up to it?!

There’s quite a wide range of pressures that work just fine for a rider’s weight. The numbers on the side are normally a range or max and not a recommendation for all rider weights.

Top Bottom