How to 'bulletproof' your knees

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
I've recently overdone it and picked up a knee injury. Rested, then went privately to a physio, got a diagnosis of torn inner VMO attachment, a brilliant massage and left with a strengthening plan. Hamstring curls, knee extensions, split squats, lateral walk with band and a bit unusual inner VMO exercise involving a pillow between your legs that I never knew. I guess it's all working - i.e. I'm almost fully recovered. That said, I don't really know if all of this is speeding up the recovery, do I?... But I digress...

The point/question I have is: What other leg strengthening exercises do you do to keep them in one piece? I.e. exercises where your main goal is to prevent injury and not increasing power.

Milzy

Guru
Hex bar dead lifts & never grind.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
The key is in your opening sentence “overdone it”

I think the key to avoiding injury is to not to suddenly increase duration, intensity or frequency of your riding. Any increase should be gradual, a gentle slope of increasing demands on your body, with adequate recovery.

Many skip base training, the easy efforts of gradually longer durations and frequency. Thinking it’s a waste of time. But as well as the improvements to your aerobic muscle fibres it also allows your muscles, tendons, ligaments etc to get stronger. Enabling them to handle the high intensities and greater force production introduced later in the year.

There’s also listening to your body and knowing when it’s time to back off to easier riding or even have a break.

There is also the simple matter of fitting low enough gears that you can spin up hills in your area and not strain your knees mashing too high a gear.

CXRAndy

Guru
Basic squats tend to sort out any niggles may get.

Its only my opinion, so don't take it as authority on the subject. but I think Pete, you went a bit too intense too fast with little recovery.

Endurance comes with time, in small increments. Try and stay fit till spring, then get out a few times a week for easy cruising rides steadily increasing time on bike. By next winter assuming you had no setbacks, your body will be better placed to do more intense work

Also being a spinner is much better for the knees, try staying above 90rpm. This will help with racing too, quick speed adjustments.

PK99

Legendary Member
I've recently overdone it and picked up a knee injury. Rested, then went privately to a physio, got a diagnosis of torn inner VMO attachment, a brilliant massage and left with a strengthening plan. Hamstring curls, knee extensions, split squats, lateral walk with band and a bit unusual inner VMO exercise involving a pillow between your legs that I never knew. I guess it's all working - i.e. I'm almost fully recovered. That said, I don't really know if all of this is speeding up the recovery, do I?... But I digress...

The point/question I have is: What other leg strengthening exercises do you do to keep them in one piece? I.e. exercises where your main goal is to prevent injury and not increasing power.

Ask your physio.

OP
OP
Peter Salt

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
The key is in your opening sentence “overdone it”

I think the key to avoiding injury is to not to suddenly increase duration, intensity or frequency of your riding. Any increase should be gradual, a gentle slope of increasing demands on your body, with adequate recovery.

Many skip base training, the easy efforts of gradually longer durations and frequency. Thinking it’s a waste of time. But as well as the improvements to your aerobic muscle fibres it also allows your muscles, tendons, ligaments etc to get stronger. Enabling them to handle the high intensities and greater force production introduced later in the year.

There’s also listening to your body and knowing when it’s time to back off to easier riding or even have a break.

There is also the simple matter of fitting low enough gears that you can spin up hills in your area and not strain your knees mashing too high a gear.
Oh, you're absolutely right. I didn't want to make the opening post any longer, but yeah... I definitely know what I did wrong - in hindsight that is. Too much too soon, not enough recovery and I carried on despite the pain until it became really bad - all stupid, all newbie mistakes. Was just wondering about other exercises, you know - other than cycling, that can help.

I am a natural spinner - so that's covered :okay:

Hex bar dead lifts & never grind.
Uuuu, that's an interesting one. I do normal deadlifts as part of my gym workout but don't own a hex bar. Might try and find something used and give that a try.

Ask your physio.
Ha, ha :laugh: Yeah, I will get more sessions in - definitely. But there's always benefit to asking others - even though you lot are not physios you do cycle and chances are someone can recommend something good; maybe had a similar issue and something helped.

Don't run! I enjoyed about 4 years of semi-competitive club running (2013-17) before I got injured, and I'm still viewing the riding that I do as rehabilitation from that...
I don't! I did do a few charity runs in my life but that's about it - don't enjoy it that much.

Basic squats tend to sort out any niggles may get.

Its only my opinion, so don't take it as authority on the subject. but I think Pete, you went a bit too intense too fast with little recovery.

Endurance comes with time, in small increments. Try and stay fit till spring, then get out a few times a week for easy cruising rides steadily increasing time on bike. By next winter assuming you had no setbacks, your body will be better placed to do more intense work

Also being a spinner is much better for the knees, try staying above 90rpm. This will help with racing too, quick speed adjustments.
Yeah, there's a few variations of squats in the programme that I've got bud I didn't want to list them all.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Avoid getting older.

PK99

Legendary Member
Ha, ha :laugh: Yeah, I will get more sessions in - definitely. But there's always benefit to asking others - even though you lot are not physios you do cycle and chances are someone can recommend something good; maybe had a similar issue and something helped.

Whenever such questions are asked her somebody will pop up and say "Cycling is good for knees, just take it easy" or "Deadlifts" or "Squats"

All of which might be fine for some conditions but absolutely wrong for others.

Twice I've had knee issues where I was told not to ride and not to work out in the gym.

For a recent issue that involved fluid in the knee capsule and inflammation around it, I was instructed to REST: No cycling. No gym. Limited walking. Very specific exercises to do 3/4 times a day with ice after. Over a month the knee issue and related hip issue caused by dodgy gait protecting the sore knee completely resolved.

If you are consulting a sports physio - listen to them and ignore any exercise advice on-line.

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
Whenever such questions are asked her somebody will pop up and say "Cycling is good for knees, just take it easy" or "Deadlifts" or "Squats"

All of which might be fine for some conditions but absolutely wrong for others.

Twice I've had knee issues where I was told not to ride and not to work out in the gym.

For a recent issue that involved fluid in the knee capsule and inflammation around it, I was instructed to REST: No cycling. No gym. Limited walking. Very specific exercises to do 3/4 times a day with ice after. Over a month the knee issue and related hip issue caused by dodgy gait protecting the sore knee completely resolved.

If you are consulting a sports physio - listen to them and ignore any exercise advice on-line.
This forum is the fountain of all knowledge ^_^

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Oh, you're absolutely right. I didn't want to make the opening post any longer, but yeah... I definitely know what I did wrong - in hindsight that is. Too much too soon, not enough recovery and I carried on despite the pain until it became really bad - all stupid, all newbie mistakes. Was just wondering about other exercises, you know - other than cycling, that can help.

Learning to listen to your body is key if you are going to progress injury free. Most definitely do not cycle through pain. Ache yes, after exercise, but pain is a very different sensation.

Last edited:
Top Bottom