How to buy a Chinese frame/wheelset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Luegolover

Luegolover

I can't remember the exact model number, isn't that bad.. I was after a R-051 but went for this which looked quiet similar. I'll have a dig about and find out what to was. I'm taking a punt on the fact that I will be able to route the hydraulic cable internally but in a way I'm take a punt full stop. My wife has just realised that I have ordered wheels with transfers and therefore fake wheels and is somewhat horrified, oh well.

Steve

jasonmccullum

Über Member
i have a pinarello Dogma chinese frame and wheels. i have done around 4000 miles on it and it has been fantastic

extremely stiff and well built. i had it examined by a bike frame builder and he thought it was of high quality (obviously not the same as the original) but on par with Ribble, Planet X etc

mine weighs 6.9Kg and i would happily buy another one. i bought my frame from greatkeenbikes,com and my carbon Zipp bars, bottle cages and wheels from Aliexpress

my only advice is speak to the first and don't do anything until you and they know excately what you want.

I can't remember the exact model number, isn't that bad.. I was after a R-051 but went for this which looked quiet similar. I'll have a dig about and find out what to was. I'm taking a punt on the fact that I will be able to route the hydraulic cable internally but in a way I'm take a punt full stop. My wife has just realised that I have ordered wheels with transfers and therefore fake wheels and is somewhat horrified, oh well.

Steve
Workswell 115D?

OP
OP
Luegolover

Luegolover

Yep, looks like the 115D. I think 6.9kg might be a bit optimistic for this bike with all the disc stuff, in fact my current Fuji entry level carbon 2010 bike is pretty light at about 8.5kg and I'd be delighted if it comes in less that that. My wife has a Ribble R872 and it is fabulous so if the quality ends up at that level I'll also be very happy.

Getting excited

OP
OP
Luegolover

Luegolover

No, comes in clear coat with a gloss finish. This is quite standard for Chinese frames and the reason why I got the wheels with the graphics. I could have ordered it in one of the colour combinations that they stock as standard for a little extra but I liked the carbon look.

OP
OP
Luegolover

Luegolover

Well the frame arrived, it's light and beautiful. I can't describe how happy I am with it. The wheels are is customs awaiting clearance and the handlebars are being sent tomorrow. Did I mention the handlebars? Oh, I got the bright idea of ordering a new set of gears and then selling the current bike (well Derrick suggested I do that, good idea, he's on here but I don't know his name on the site) so I am going to order them and build a brand new bike. I am really excited now, feel like I am chuffed for taking a chance that looks like it is going to pay off.

I can't decide if I should paint the frame before I use it. I can paint, but not sure if I should change the natural carbon look, decisions, decisions.....

Attachments

• IMG_2093.JPG
    IMG_2093.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 62

AndyRM

XOXO
Personally I'd keep it in stealth mode.

Looking forward to seeing it built up.

OP
OP
Luegolover

Luegolover

Update, The wheels have made it through customs in 12 days and at a cost of £38 and due for delivery today, very excited. The handlebars were despatched from town in china on Tuesday and have arrived at the local parcel force depot in London for delivery on Monday without customs charge, apparently this can happen? So, what with the arrive of my Jag wire out cables I now have the whole lot, or will do by Monday evening. I am somewhat convinced that I will need one spacer for the brake callipers which I can get pretty quickly so I guess I could be out and about on the bike next weekend, now that would be cool.

Top Bottom