How to buy a Chinese frame/wheelset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Bet those wheels will have interesting braking in the wet, it looks as if the same carbon layup is used for the rim as the braking surface.

OP
OP
Luegolover

Luegolover

Well the handlebars arrived:
IMG_2104.JPG

OP
OP
Luegolover

Luegolover

So without actually putting together and using it I am a little conscious that I could be writing prematurely but so far the Chinese experience has been a good one.

The draw backs:
All three items were despatched a little later than they said they would be.
Two of the items took over 10 days each in UK customs
The wheels were supposed to come with spare spokes and nipples, they did not. I have asked for some to be sent, we'll wait and see.
The handlebar was supposed to have a computer mounting bracket, it was nit supplied. Again I have asked for one to be sent.
The quality of finish on the wheels is not absolutely perfect. It's great, but not perfect.

The pros:
The stuff was very cheap.
Frame, fork, seat tide, headset $510 (approx £303) and £32 tax and import duty.
Wheels $571 (£338) and £38 tax and import duty
Handlebar $144 (£85) and £0 tax and import duty.
Total £796 which seems pretty good value.
The frame and the handlebars are absolutely faultless, they look perfect in every way. They are also very light.
The wheels look fantastic.

I have also bought a Hope brake system for £130 and gear components from Ribble for £200. The only thing I need on top of that is some tyres which I will steel from the current bike.

So, all in all it should cost about £1,100 which I appreciate will get a good quality Ribble/Plant X etc. but it will be unique and all mine. I can't wait to ride it.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Will it be ready for the weekend?

OP
OP
Luegolover

Luegolover

No, don't think so. I need to start it tomorrow and I suspect that I will need spacers for the brake callipers as the discs are 180mm and I think the frame has been designed for 160mm. Also, doing a tri and a run this weekend so wouldn't be out on it in any case. Next weekend is a realistic goal though. Then I could take it to Exmoor for our three days of Wimbleball training.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
To be fair though, neither of the articles Mr H quotes deal with disk brakes. The failures they site all happened on extreme technical descents where heavy braking causes significant heat build up in the rim.

OP
OP
Luegolover

Luegolover

Started to get it all together. Had to buy some mounting brackets to convert from 160mm to 180mm discs however they were cheap. Feels very light so far. Haven't managed to get the brakes lined up perfectly but will tinker later. The front disc is slightly warped but as it is flat when not fitted to the hub I suspect I need to take it off and re-install it. Pleased to get the rear cable routed internally.
IMG_2115.JPG
Liking the look.

Last edited:
Top Bottom