How to buy (SPD) shoes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Wow, that's an awesome page! That's very useful & definitely will help narrow down my search!

I guess I can either click to collect a range of shoes from the local Evans or order online once I've measured & know exactly my size.
Still best to try before you buying you can.
I have some shoes that I had to put thicker insoles in as they're loose,got another pair a size down with standard insoles and they're tight.
I do have paddle steamer wide feet though.

byegad

Legendary Member
I had a pair of Shimano SPD size 43 shoes, they were at least 16 yrs old and possibly much older. As you may imagine they were well past their best, or even least worse. So I mail ordered another pair of Shimano, size 43. They were a similar shoe, but instead of a nice fit, which my old ones were from day one, when ever that was, they were far too narrow and stupidly short. My normal shoe size is a 41, or an 8 in UK sizes, and rarely I need and 8 1/2 a 42.

So they went back and I bought a completely different style of SPD shoes size 44! What is the point of sizing shoes to an international standard and Shimano then makes them up to 3 sizes out.

nickAKA

Über Member
I had a pair of Shimano SPD size 43 shoes, they were at least 16 yrs old and possibly much older. As you may imagine they were well past their best, or even least worse. So I mail ordered another pair of Shimano, size 43. They were a similar shoe, but instead of a nice fit, which my old ones were from day one, when ever that was, they were far too narrow and stupidly short. My normal shoe size is a 41, or an 8 in UK sizes, and rarely I need and 8 1/2 a 42.

So they went back and I bought a completely different style of SPD shoes size 44! What is the point of sizing shoes to an international standard and Shimano then makes them up to 3 sizes out.

Twas ever thus with cycling attire...

vickster

Legendary Member
Buy online but only with free returns or it’ll cost you about £6 to return each pair

If you have Evans close, you’re sorted for free delivery and returns although you get charged upfront and then refunded

Also try (& buy) footwear in the afternoons. Your feet do swell some over the course of the day, so shoes bought in the morning won't feel so comfy in the afternoon.

I have small feet that are a little on the wide side. Shimano MT34 shoes from Decathlon work well for me.

Mike_P

Guru
Sock thickness will make a difference too. In normal shoes I take a 10 (44.5) but most cycling shoes I have are 46s. Two exceptions are a pair of Shimano 45s which are okay in cold/cool weather with normal office socks so they get used for 10 minute work commute in Autumn-Spring and a pair of Spiuk 47s which reading the comments on retailers web sites from purchasers as how a shoe fits correctly guided me to buying a size further up than normal for cycling shoes.

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
My ha'p'orth: don't worry too much about the fit because the shoes will confirm to your feet once they've been worn wet a couple of times. Also some moulded insoles like Specialized BG will improve the fit massively.

Worry more about the cup of the heel. If it's too shallow and it doesn't hold your heel in place the shoe will slop up and down no matter how good the fit elsewhere. The shoe needs to come up the back of your heel and cup the bone to prevent it lifting.

GlenBen

Über Member
I think the only way to really tell is to try as many pairs as you can. I would consider myself to have a wide foot and I do need special boots for work, however, against what seems to be the consensus on here, I have a pair of specialized that feel like slippers and a pair of northwave that are much narrower and get uncomfortable after about 20miles. I think feet change too much from person to person to really recommend anything specific.

CXRAndy

Guru
Its a little extreme but useful if undecided. I contacted Wiggle asked if I ordered multiple shoes of different sizes, I could send back those that didnt fit with no hassle- they agreed. I ordered 8 pairs of shoes in different sizes, tried them all, until I found the pair that felt comfortable almost immediately.

I'm on the same pair 6 years later. Shimano spd with same cleats, used for mtb rides sportive s and 400 mile week tours. Brilliant. I did the same for winter boots again, just own this pair, but don't use hardly because I no longer go outdoors in winter and turbo train.

12boy

Guru
I bought some Shimano mtn shoes in a ten and a half and some others in 8 and a half. The little ones I wear sockless when it's hot and I put really thick felt insoles in the 10 and a half which I wear with thick wool socks in the winter. The felt compresses a bit but both are very comfortable in the right season. The little ones stretched out quite a bit with summer sweat and no socks. They are heavy for sure but wear like iron. Both have the SPD clip.

Top Bottom