How to deal with dogs? Or has this guy got issues?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Forget your regular cycling kit you've got to ride properly tooled up:-

shin guards
a box for the gents
studded gauntlets
studded gloves
full face helmet
throat guard disguised as a Buff
get a pair of those shoes from that James Bond film, where the blade flicks out of the toe
machette and hammer attached to bike frame

now bring on the dogs

Nantmor

I find a pump is a good anti dog item. Dogs can be clever enough to keep out of range of a stick, but a stick which doubles in length as you swing it can catch them out. Blumels used to make one with a heavier steel barrel to increase deterrence.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
One thing that I would like to know is: Does the size of the dog contribute to what you can do to it?

Of course a big dog is more intimidating than a little-un but what if they are doing exactly the same (snapping at your anckles)?
A big un won't be snapping at your ankle, more likely snapping your tib and fib, and little ones are generally at a severe weight and jaw power/capacity disadvantage should you stand your ground and confront.

I once had to insert my finger into a dog's anus to persuade it to cease its attack on Silverthedog, our then family pet, who was on a lead. I took great care to jab the owner with said digit in the ensuing 'debate' on canine control.

Here is a typical, ime, dog owner exercising an appropriate level of care and control over their animal in a public place...

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I think this murderous dog attacking thing must be regional. Was talking to 5 guys in the village who cycle regularly together and they have over 140 years cycling experience between them and adding my years in (20 in two bites) making 160 - and not a single dog related incident amongst them.

In my many years of mountain hiking I have logged well over 1000 hill days and have stumbled across many dogs, large and small, and not one problem.

My 12 year old Weimaraner sadly died last year clocked up around 6000 hours of walking with me (including 200 of those hill days) and we had only 2 hassle instances.

First was when walking him on a lead and passing a family group a child aged around 5 or 6 hit my dog with a small kids golf club for no reason. Dog yelped and grabbed the club hurting the child's wrist. Father not happy even though it was his childs fault.

Second was when we rounded a bend in a local woods and sprawled across the bridleway was a large family from Liverpool who had set up 2 picnic tables laden with scoff. And no my dog was not on a lead, we walked this route (along with the local horse riders) dozens of times a year and this was a total out of the blue event. Dog hurtled over and made off with a chicken drumstick.

That was it - all that time so little trouble.

As for the only dogs that are trained are 'shooters' well that is ridiculous. I know of many very well trained dogs. My own was trained enough to be allowed by 2 of our local farmers to walk off lead/on heel in their fields with sheep in them. He would also hit the deck on command whilst running at full speed. He would also 'down and stay' for 30 minutes + easily etc etc.

Just keeping some perspective - not all dogs are bad. Most are really nice and just want human fuss and praise.

My guess is that human cruelty to dogs far outweighs its polar opposite.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
There's a dog owner or two round my way who delight in leaving poop all over a pavement by the local primary school.

I believe that is irrefutably anti-social. If I could establish who is not picking up I would immediately report them to the Council.

It is a perishing nuisance especially to puschair users like my wife. A three wheeled pushchair is even worse !

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Like somebody else upthread Richard's Bicycle Book was the testament that turned me from a bike rider into an informed cyclist.

First of all the book was written 40 years ago. Like Tintin au Congo or the 1956 Rainbow annual's stuff about 'darkie land' it's anchored in the paradigm of the time. Perhaps we were less shockable in 1974. The section concerned was edited from more recent re-prints.

But having got Richard off the shelf again and re-acquainted myself this is about a few hundred words in a 300 page paperback, are they really that bad?

Pages 117-8 describe the problems of riding in the country. Traffic, flocks, cattle grids and agricultural machinery get mentions before he turns to dogs. There's then a caution that (a) they're less of a problem in England than his native US and (b) what follows may be shocking.

He goes on to say most dogs are not a problem. They respond to you stopping and facing them so you are seen as a person. But some are a problem. Not necessarily the animal's fault; the 'weapon' dog egged on by an idiot owner was a recognised issue then as now.

What follows, and what has given offence on this thread, is his description of how to deal with such a dog in extremis. Even then he says "The main thing in dealing with a vicious dog is confidence. As a human being you are one of the largest mammals on earth and a formidable contender in a fight. Suppress your fears and radiate the notion that ant dog that messes with you will regret it for the rest of his days"... "Speak to the dog in firm tones and keeping bike between it and you walk away"

He goes on to suggest Pepper spray or ammonia before describing how a dog might have to be killed.

In forty years of touring and commuting I've never got past dismount and speak firmly. But there are enough reports of nutter’s dogs in UK to be mentally prepared for the nuclear option.

JohnHenry

Loose member.
[QUOTE 1724711, member: 9609"]Now I had always presumed Fenton was chasing the deer, may be there is another explanation; Fenton and the deer were having a relaxing day out in the park when they spot Greg cycling towards them. With knowledge of Gregs reputation and feared for their rear ends they head in the opposite direction as quick as their little legs will carry them. Interestingly Fentons owner has never been found, he'll rue the day he annoyed a cycling member of the special forces.[/quote]
A dog walker who became an internet sensation when he was filmed running after his black Labrador Fenton as he charged after deer has been unmasked.
Father-of-two Max Findlay, an editorial consultant, said 'I just want to move on' after the footage, recorded by a 13-year-old boy, went viral on YouTube.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2073540/Benton-dog-YouTube-video-Fentons-owner-Max-Findlay-just-wants-on.html#ixzz1maVZawSr

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
A dog walker who became an internet sensation when he was filmed running after his black Labrador Fenton as he charged after deer has been unmasked.
Father-of-two Max Findlay, an editorial consultant, said 'I just want to move on' after the footage, recorded by a 13-year-old boy, went viral on YouTube.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2073540/Benton-dog-YouTube-video-Fentons-owner-Max-Findlay-just-wants-on.html#ixzz1maVZawSr
"Max won't be taking him back to Richmond Park any time soon and is considering giving him a new name if the fuss goes on"

The dog doesn't need a new name, the owner just needs to use a lead, then , nobody needs to hear what it's name is!

Top Bottom