How to deal with dogs? Or has this guy got issues?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nantmor

Do you mean why are dog owners that allow their dogs to behave in a manner which would be unacceptable if it were a human doing it not targeted by the police, or are you suggesting that dogs should be arrested for having a poo?
Not just poo. Try vigourously goosing a stranger with your nose.

Bicycle

This thread beats some of the recent helmet and RLJ malarkey for pure entertainment value.

Good dog owners are good. Naughty ones are naughty.

Good drivers are good. Naughty ones are naughty.

Good cyclists are good. Naughty ones are naughty.

Thank you for reading this important message. :hello:

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
I think, to put it in perspective Reiver, that if you met either MacB or Greg out on a walk with your dog, you'd probably all exchange pleasantries, maybe chew the cud and nothing more.

I also think that it's the minority majority which give us all a bad name. As a dog owner, badly trained pets and dog poo irritate me as much as anyone else. Red light jumpers reflect on us all, out of control screaming kids reflect on all parents and so on up and down the scale of things that we do and others don't. The trick is not to take it personally and just step back.

I know from your posts you're a reasonable bloke, I know from Greg's he is too and I know from MacB's that......OK we'll leave MacB out ;) And as for that Brompton fella........
I fixed your text for you. I forget the numbers now, but the last time I counted, on my "long" commute, there was a ratio of 80/20 well behaved dogs/owners compared with turd dispensers/scaflaws.

Little yellow Brompton

[QUOTE 1723445, member: 9609"]I'm sure I will meet them in other threads and we will get on just swimmingly - but on this thread we are on different sides of the fence.

Is he ever going to grow up and stop going on about turd dispensers ? ^_^[/quote]
The moment they stop dispensing turds!

Little yellow Brompton

[QUOTE 1723461, member: 9609"]<troll mode>Its a good way of teaching people to watch where they are walking - better the minor inconvenience of having to clean a shoe than one day falling down a mine shaft</troll mode>
Actually it really does wind me up people leaving dog crap on paths![/quote]

"People" don't , dog walkers do.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Waddya think?
Well I'm not sure that's why I asked :thumbsup:
Not just poo. Try vigourously goosing a stranger with your nose.
LMAO, now there's a suggestion.
You're right of course, sniffing, pooing, weeing and simulated sex with bits of old carpet would be unacceptable if performed in a public place by you or I. It is of course therefore logical that it should be outlawed when it comes to animals too. It would be an excellent use of police resources, I would imagine they would use the dog unit.
Personally I'd like them to sort birds out, there's one particular individual that loves to do his business on my wing mirror :cursing:, I may have a word with my local police station, flying squad maybe?
BTW, have you met Brokenflipflop? He likes horses.

Nantmor

Well I'm not sure that's why I asked :thumbsup:

LMAO, now there's a suggestion.
You're right of course, sniffing, pooing, weeing and simulated sex with bits of old carpet would be unacceptable if performed in a public place by you or I. It is of course therefore logical that it should be outlawed when it comes to animals too. It would be an excellent use of police resources, I would imagine they would use the dog unit.
Personally I'd like them to sort birds out, there's one particular individual that loves to do his business on my wing mirror :cursing:, I may have a word with my local police station, flying squad maybe?
BTW, have you met Brokenflipflop? He likes horses.
So you were seriously asking whether I thought it a good idea to involve the police force in prosecuting dogs? O.K. I think that is so obviously a ludicrous suggestion that I imagined noone could think that is what I meant.
Unlike wild birds dogs have owners, and they can be held in law responsible for the actions of their mutts. Your laboured sarcasm is not relevant.

Nantmor

[QUOTE 1723549, member: 9609"]Is there a requirement for humans to scoop their own poop? If I am up in the hills wild camping with the dog, I am entitled to leave my own but I must bag and carry off the dogs - seems a little unfair.

Anyway, I am in no way defending dog owners who don't pick up, a few weeks ago I knelt in a dog turd while planting a tree. arrrggggggggghhh

People say dogs are stupid but have you ever seen a dog stand in a human turd![/quote]
Are you really required to pick up the turds laid in the hills? I imagine the law on pooperscoopers was intended to deal with street turds. If it catches wild turds this may be a problem, but I have never heard of a prosecution. However many wild places are well used and any carnivore's turds would be unpleasant. I bury mine. It does not seem very unfair to me.
I have seen dogs eat human turds.

Nantmor

[QUOTE 1723605, member: 9609"]In Scotland you don't have to pick up on farm land and presumably this covers the hills.
I would usually bury mine (and never near a stream and and if anywhere near a bothy then always downhill from that bothy) although there is good argument for leaving it in the open as it will disappear much quicker, if the ground is peat you may just be preserving it.
A dog may indeed eat a human turd, or even roll in it, but that would be a choice. Joking apart about dogs standing in human poo, I have never known my dog stand in a dog poo, and walking near where I live in the dark it is nearly impossible to miss the stuff.[/quote]
You are more careful than I am with stools on the hill. I will try to follow your ideas.
I was once overcome by nature halfway down a steep glacier under occasional stonefall. I was roped to two companions who loudly and unecessarily urged me to hurry. The movement is probably deep-frozen and perfectly preserved.
Dogs carry their noses close to the ground, in order to detect interesting things. As I wrote, they may look at a nice turd as a tasty snack.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Interesting as this is, I wasn't aware that human poop was a big issue for your average walker, runner, cyclist.

Thankfully, despite having trodden in dog poo, I have managed to avoid falling down a mine shaft...you could only make up these levels of straw men

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
So you were seriously asking whether I thought it a good idea to involve the police force in prosecuting dogs? O.K. I think that is so obviously a ludicrous suggestion that I imagined noone could think that is what I meant.
Unlike wild birds dogs have owners, and they can be held in law responsible for the actions of their mutts. Your laboured sarcasm is not relevant.
I was serious, lets revisit what you said below;
Dog turds can appear anywhere, unlike mine shafts. I've had them on my door step. To draw attention to this loathsome habit is not childish. Why is it that dogs can get away with behaviour that would attract police interest in a human?
Can't see anything about the dogs owner being held responsible for the action of their charges, could you point out to me where it's so obvious please?
I can't actually remember saying what type of bird it was that's fond of my wing mirror, wild or otherwise, how about a chicken?

Nantmor

I was serious, lets revisit what you said below;

Can't see anything about the dogs owner being held responsible for the action of their charges, could you point out to me where it's so obvious please?
I can't actually remember saying what type of bird it was that's fond of my wing mirror, wild or otherwise, how about a chicken?
I lack words and will to respond.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
One thing that I would like to know is: Does the size of the dog contribute to what you can do to it?

Of course a big dog is more intimidating than a little-un but what if they are doing exactly the same (snapping at your anckles)?

Top Bottom