How to deal with dogs? Or has this guy got issues?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I was reading "Richards Bicycle Book" by Richard Ballantine when I was dismayed, amused and alarmed in various measures to find the following passage in which Ballantine advises cyclists on how to deal with an unwelcome encounter with a dog. Those of a nervouse disposition might want to skip this.

"If the dog attacks: one defense is aerosol pepper sprays made for this purpose. They have a range of about ten feet and are light enough to clip to your handlebars. A water pistol loaded with a water-amonia solution will also work but is a good deal less convenient. If you have neither of these and can't or won't climb a tree get a stick or a large rock. No? The bicycle pump. Try to ram it down his throat. In any event, don't cower or cover up, because the dog will only chew you to ribbons. Attack. Any small dog can simply be hoisted up by the legs and his brains dashed out. With a big dog you are fighting for your life. If you are weaponless try to tangle him up in your bike and then strangle him. Kicks to the genitals and which break ribs are effective. If you have got a pump or a stick hold it at both ends and offer it up to the dog horizontally. Often the dog will bit the stick/pump and hang on. Immediately lift the dog up and deliver a very solid kick to the gemitals. Follow up with breaking the dogs ribs or crushing its head with a rock. If worst comes to worst ram your entire arm down its throat. He will choke and die. Better your arm than your throat."

The rest of the book is a fairly sober afair dealing with bike maitanence but this section jumped out at me not just because of the incredible level of violence it talks about but because of the many disturbing questions it raises, like how does he know all this and what must have happened to him to make him so utterly bonkers. I assure you I have changed nothing in the passage and that is how it apears in the book. I just wondered if other people would think it as insane as I did/

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I've had a dog come after me before, terrifying experience and one that has made me wary of any dog.
At the time I got of my bike and put it between me and the dog.

HovR

Über Member
Did you proceed to tangle him up in the bike and strangle him with it? :ohmy:

In all seriousness.. I suppose this advice would work if it really came to that, but it seems extremely out of place in a book self labeled as "A manual of bicycle maintenance and enjoyment."

OP
OP
Cyclopathic

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I've had a dog come after me before, terrifying experience and one that has made me wary of any dog.
At the time I got of my bike and put it between me and the dog.
This seems like the best thing to do and probably the most intuative and obvious. I would hope that one could keep a dog at bay for as long as needed with judicious fending with a bike. I reckon it's the tactic I'd try and employ.

OP
OP
Cyclopathic

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Did you proceed to tangle him up in the bike and strangle him with it? :ohmy:

In all seriousness.. I suppose this advice would work if it really came to that, but it seems extremely out of place in a book self labeled as "A manual of bicycle maintenance and enjoyment."

I've no doubt that some of these things might work but I think that it could be dangerous advice to try and follow. The chances of getting it wrong seem to be quite high and a mistake could cost you dearly. People aren't generaly practiced in the ways of dog dispatching so I think keep it as simple as possible would be the best advice.

yello

I think you'd have to be pretty darned unfortunate to meet a dog that required quite that level of aggressive response. It sounds overboard to me but then maybe he is painting a worst case scenario.... wild pack dogs in East Africa or something.

Personally speaking, whilst I have encountered a number of barking, snarling dogs over the years (I delivered newspapers as a kid) I have never been frightened for my life nor needed to resort to aggression. The only dog that has ever bitten me (apart from my own when playing!) was one that wandered up to me all docile like! No reason for me to even suspect he was about to take a bite!

Ime, dogs only need to be shouted at at worst. Most of the time, despite sound and spittle, they're only defending their territory and will retreat once when you've passed.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I think the relevant part is "If the dog attacks"! Ballantine wasn't talking about being barked at, or having a snappy dog running alongside him.

Generally speaking, I like dogs, but if a vicious one launches a serious attack on me or my loved ones then I would use whatever means I considered necessary in defence, including the techniques listed, as I would against a human assailant. What are you going to do - ask the dog nicely to let go of your friend's face?

It isn't a pleasant passage to read, but have a think about it ... Yesterday, I was advising people to practise chain repairs at home in the warm and dry so they would know what to do if they broke a chain during a ride. The same applies to self-defence. I would rather have a good idea of what to do before being attacked by a dog, rather than trying to make it up during the stress of an attack.

I know someone who killed a German Shepherd dog in self-defence. If it comes down to a stark choice between a dog or a human then the dog has to be dealt with. I'd feel sorry for the dog, but the dog's owner would be the one at fault, not the person defending themself.

You must have the original version there, later versions had a new section glued in before the next reprint.

HovR

Über Member
I've no doubt that some of these things might work but I think that it could be dangerous advice to try and follow. The chances of getting it wrong seem to be quite high and a mistake could cost you dearly. People aren't generaly practiced in the ways of dog dispatching so I think keep it as simple as possible would be the best advice.

I agree with you there. I think I'd rather try to escape from the dog if possible - Climb a tree, jump a fence, into a building etc.

OP
OP
Cyclopathic

Cyclopathic

Veteran
[QUOTE 1719448, member: 9609"]Sadly there are people out there who take a great delight in killing and hurting animals, and I guess so much the better if that animal happens to be someone's pet. Cyclist should also be aware how important and loved dogs are to their owners, and any act of violence towards their dog may be rapidly repaid.[/quote]

I would like to stress that Mr Balantines approach to this is not mine. I agree with HovR when he says the best thing is to get away asap. Going at a dog in the way Ballantine describes is only likely to make things worse in my opinion. And I think he might be a bit mental.

OP
OP
Cyclopathic

Cyclopathic

Veteran
i dont think he's being altogether serious in that passage... surely it's written to entertain rather than educate.

I've read the book and the bits before and after this passage and I can assure you taht it doesn't come accross as tongue in cheek. Unless it is the dogs tongue which he has just removed whilst his hand was down its throat and he is now gnawing on it in some macabre sort of victory ritual. It doesn't read like a peice of satire.

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
... what must have happened to him to make him so utterly bonkers.

I don't think he's saying that if a dog barks at you or sniffs your crotch for too long you should smash the life out of it.

Take a quick look at image search results for "dog attack" and you'll feel even more sobered as to what could happen to you or others if you don't have a clue how to deal with a dog when it's seeing red.

I'm sure it sounds brutal and inhumane, but the dog is hardly thinking of puppies and warm beds when it's trying to tear the skin from your face and neck.

I am by no means condoning violence against animals, but in your flight or fight moment, a dog is likely to be able outrun you, and we're are not really cut out for defending ourselves from animal attacks, unless we have thought about how we can cope beforehand, should the worst happen.

Forewarned is forearmed as they say. It's better to know what to do, and never have to do it, than be left defenseless and vulnerable.

Top Bottom