How to deal with dogs? Or has this guy got issues?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Oh dear - this is turning into another tedious cyclist vs dog thread.

What is it with some cyclists? They don't like motorists, they don't like horse riders, they don't like dogs, all of whom seem to infringe upon their virtuous lives - where's the common denominator there then?

wheres_my_beard

Über Member

What is it with some cyclists? They don't like motorists, they don't like horse riders, they don't like dogs, all of whom seem to infringe upon their virtuous lives - where's the common denominator there then?

I'm sure that some cyclists do like motorists, horse riders and dogs. This is about the appropriateness of advice given to cyclists dealing with being attacked by dogs; no one is having a go at dogs in general.

[QUOTE 1719548, member: 9609"]And another point, these fighting type dogs that potentionally could do you some serious damage are often accompanied by moronic thugs who probably have a lower IQ than the dog, he/they will undoubtably join in on the side of the dog.
[/quote]

Aye - that was my first thought!

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Folks you need to read some of the US forums on cycling kit...discussions on whether it's best to have the gun frame mounted or in a holster, how big a knife to carry, pepper spray, tasers, etc, etc.

Bear(excuse that pun) in mind that not all advice will be applicable to all locations and circumstances.

Really, to what end? Did they change this bit or something?

Yes they did, it was toned down quite a bit. If my memory serves, that's the original passage and they took out most of the ball kicking, arm down throat stuff.

Richard's bicycle book was a seminal read for me, it catapulted me from clueless amateur to clued amateur. On a ride with my cousin he took the advice of putting a bike between him and a dog. He got it a bit wrong though as I think the passage meant to stop the bike before he got off. We picked him up and dusted him down.

MacB

Bullpuckey, if I'm on a public highway I should be able to proceed without being bothered, let alone attacked, by a dog. I don't give a stuff how friendly they are, how my fear may be the problem, or how 'it's never done that before'. If you haven't got it on a lead, and it bothers me, it's fair game.

If you don't like that then look after your dog like you're meant to.

yello

So really this information is as relevant to the general public as it is to cyclists?

Personally, as 'correct' as the advice might be, I do think it out of place. Sure cyclists do perhaps have more interactions with dogs than other folk but the type of dog were talking about here is just as likely to attack a walker as a cyclist. Its not the usual type of dog that yaps and chases us. The author might as well include a section on dealing with serial killers, or swarming bees.

So, yes, I think the author does perhaps 'have issues', as the OP asks. Perhaps an over-reaction to an incident they have experienced?

What about the book itself? Can you use it to bore the dog to death?

Is it a Hard back?

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Bullpuckey, if I'm on a public highway I should be able to proceed without being bothered, let alone attacked, by a dog. I don't give a stuff how friendly they are, how my fear may be the problem, or how 'it's never done that before'. If you haven't got it on a lead, and it bothers me, it's fair game.

If you don't like that then look after your dog like you're meant to.

I'm really not sure what that has got to do with what I said.

[QUOTE 1719789, member: 9609"]Lets just get this correct - if you are "being bothered" by a dog it is fair game to dispose of in what ever violent method you choose?[/quote]

You've got to remember, 8 months of the year he spends building bikes, two months selling them again and the remaining two months leaves him too slow to catch an errant dog anyway. So even if you had a specially trained MacB dog, it wouldn't have a chance to earn it's Winalot.

MacB

You've got to remember, 8 months of the year he spends building bikes, two months selling them again and the remaining two months leaves him too slow to catch an errant dog anyway. So even if you had a specially trained MacB dog, it wouldn't have a chance to earn it's Winalot.

Harsh but fair, harsh but fair

MacB

[QUOTE 1719789, member: 9609"]Lets just get this correct - if you are "being bothered" by a dog it is fair game to dispose of in what ever violent method you choose?[/quote]

It's a question of perceived threat and threat response - it doesn't matter what you say there are people that will see dogs as threatening. There are also people that would rather stop a potential threat in its tracks than wait and see how it develops. No, I probably wouldn't, but I'd defend the rights of someone to do so. If, however, I was actually bitten then all bets are off.

Again, if you control your dog as you should then the situation never arises.

Top Bottom