How to deal with dogs? Or has this guy got issues?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
People, just keep your dogs under control. If you, like the vast majority of the dog owning population, aren't able to train your mutt properly so it obeys your commands then keep it on a lead out in public.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Once, I was toiling up a steep hill out of Hebden Bridge on my bike. I saw a huge Doberman a.k.a The Hound of the Baskervilles loping across a field next to its owner's house towards the dry stone wall that separated us. I was very grateful for that wall. Until the beast cleared it in one massive leap, that is!

I know dogs, and can tell the difference between a bit of defensive posturing and attack mode - this was full-on attack mode!

I did a swift u-turn and sprinted back down the hill with the slobbering dog in hot pursuit. I just managed to outpace it. If I didn't have the downhill to boost my speed, it would have got me.

There'd been no trees to climb, no sheds to hide in, nobody around to help me. The dog had already shown that it could get over walls. It wasn't listening to me - I'd tried a gentle 'Good boy!', a firm 'Sit!' and a snarled 'Gerr' out uv it!. If it had caught me it would have been a serious attack, and I'd have tried to put up a serious defence, along the lines described in the original post. Yes, I know it isn't a great idea to fight a big powerful dog and I'd have felt awful if I had seriously injured or killed it, but what else could I have done but try - engage it in a meaningful discussion on the evils of violence! :wacko:

In case you think I exaggerate - a colleague of mine lived across the road from the dog owner and told me that the very same Doberman had bitten a passerby a week before, after which attack the owner had been ordered to keep it under control. A few days later, the same dog attacked the postman - the owner was warned that he must either keep it indoors or chained up when outside in the field. And there it was a couple of days after that, unsupervised and unchained, free to attack again! :cursing:

So, I escaped by the skin of my teeth. Soon afterwards, the dog was despatched to that great doggy graveyard in the sky, courtesy of the authorities (finally) acting, and entirely because of the selfish stupidity of one moronic dog owner.

Seigi

I have two dogs, a greyhound and a Irish/Lakeland terrier cross, I love them both to bits and I understand how much people love their dogs but if I felt threatened by a dog charging towards me barking and snarling I'd feel compelled to defend myself, and wouldn't think twice of using excessive force. I'd do the same to my own dogs if they threatened me or my family in such a manner and didn't respond to my commands.

I was once out hiking/walking with my girlfriend and we were walking up a quiet lane with what seemed like a house/farm sort of building, when a dog aggressively started barking, snarling and trying to get over the small dry stone wall to get to us and I was pretty sure it didn't want to lick us, ahead I saw there was a gate where the dog could have easily got under if it wanted so I prepared by picking up a large rock with the intention of bashing it over its head - Thankfully for both us and the dog it ran back to the house (Not sure if the owner called it or what, but it was a relief). But yeah, I feel that if I needed to defend myself from having my throat ripped out by a dog I would, User9609 - What would you do in the event that a dog aggressively comes charging towards you, with what you feel is, the intention of hurting yourself or your family?

Bicycle

The only time I've ever been faced with an aggressive dog was many years ago in France. I was trespassing and completely in the wrong, sneaking to some private land on a lake.

It was absolutely terrifying - and in those days I thought I was quite a tough cookie. I kept it at bay with a big stick (dead bough) and my beach towel twirled into a whip. I also did the big, snarly, aggressive stance, but felt silly and still quite petrified as I did it.

Insofar as I got away in one piece, I won. Insofar as the dog saw us off the property, he won.

All this clever-clever prose about how to kill an attacking dog misses one major point: It is difficult to think quickly and act quickly when you're trying to prevent an involuntary bowel movement.

The piece quoted in the OP seems just an amusing aside in a book. For 99% of readers (me included) it is as realistic a prospect as making a moon rocket out of old newspapers. Big attack dogs are not a nice thing to meet when they are cross.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
All this clever-clever prose about how to kill an attacking dog misses one major point: It is difficult to think quickly and act quickly when you're trying to prevent an involuntary bowel movement.

The piece quoted in the OP seems just an amusing aside in a book. For 99% of readers (me included) it is as realistic a prospect as making a moon rocket out of old newspapers. Big attack dogs are not a nice thing to meet when they are cross.
Yes, indeed, but given these 2 options, and only these 2 options:
  1. Accept that the dog is going to win! Let it chew you up, rip your throat out, mutilate you. It is better at the fighting malarkey than you. You don't stand a chance. You just drew the short straw! Accept death.
  2. The dog is probably going to win. It is going to try and chew you up, rip your throat out, mutilate you. It is better at the fighting malarkey than you and you don't stand much chance against it. You definitely drew the short straw, you've just crapped yourself, and you are terrified! Now - use that adrenaline and fight for your life!
... I'm going for option 2!

Holdsworth

Über Member
I was chased by three greyhound which were loose, they were outside a group of "traveller" caravans that had set up on a grass verge and stayed there for about 4 days. Once going past at half seven in the morning and again going home at five in the evening on the same day. On the second occasion the owner shouted at the dogs and bought then under control before they could move very far. I was most surprised that I was not overtaken as I was doing a slow 15mph with weary, back-to-commuting legs.

Dogs should be kept under strict control on a public highway. I do have a soft spot for dogs though, we had one as a family pet until it was put to sleep back in October, more pressing concerns have dissuaded us from getting another so far.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I had a bit of an incident with a dog today.

I was cycling down the river bank which is usually scattered with dog owners and people out for a walk. I was approaching a woman and her daughter and they had a dog between me and them. The dog was very big and just stopped and stared at me.
I gave a little toot of the airzound to get the womans attention and she just turned around and didnt bother calling her dog (like they normally do).
As I passed the dog, it turned around and started running after me. As I passed the woman (with the dog running besides me) she still didnt call for it.
I then decided to get rid of this dog so had to accellerate to 25 mph (it was keeping up with me at 20), and finally left it behind.

This happened on a shared use path but with no distinct cycling signs or markings apart from the start and end of the path. I can only presume that the woman thought it was just a pathway so felt that me getting chased by a big dog would be a suitable punishment.
The dog wasnt barking or anything, it was just intimidating by the size.

Enigma2008

Über Member
The reality of this thread just ain't funny!! Whilst riding my MTB on a canal towpath I was set upon by a loose greyhound, the elderly lady owner was 20 mtrs away. Initial reaction to speed up and ride away, nah not against a snarling, aggressive greyhound eh? So, second instinct stop and get of bike and put it between me and the dog, then use bike as a weapon and threaten the dog whilst going towards it waving said bike. Elderly lady owner turns up and shouts at me to 'stop doing that you're making it worse'! Didn't know which to throw in the canal first her or the dog!! Fxxxing dogs and their screwed up owners, a plague on em all!!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Fxxxing dogs and their screwed up owners, a plague on em all!!
Fcuk you too tosspot cyclewanking cockwomble!!!!

col

Legendary Member
I was chased by an Alsation for a second time when I passed a farm entrance. I wasnt going to visit A and E for a tetanus so decided to jump off and kill retrain the dog if it carried on with its attack. Funny thing is it turned and scarpered when I showed I wasnt scared, or maybe it had an idea what was on my mind?^_^

lukesdad

I was chased by an Alsation for a second time when I passed a farm entrance. I wasnt going to visit A and E for a tetanus so decided to jump off and kill retrain the dog if it carried on with its attack. Funny thing is it turned and scarpered when I showed I wasnt scared, or maybe it had an idea what was on my mind?^_^
Nah, you must of used the "force" ^_^

Nantmor

I was once bitten. Not at all serious, but it broke the skin. The dog was allowed to roam the streets around where I worked. It had a thing about cyclists, so I reeducated it. Whenever I spotted it I chased it. It didn't take long before it fled instantly from cyclists. It later had its second bite and was put down.

zizou

Veteran
I once got bitten by a dog when i was cycling - it darted towards the rider in front and went for him, but missed then went for me and had a bite at my ankle as i was pedalling - the pain didnt register for a couple of minutes as i was too intent on getting away and the adrenalin was flowing. Stopped to survey the damage and my tights, overshoes and sock were flapping about and there was a bloody puncture wound just above my achiles, so although bad was probably a lucky escape in terms of long term damage. Owner and dog nowhere to be seen by the time we headed back up the trail to see them.

The thing is i saw the dog bounding over and i knew it was going to have a bite but i was still reluctant to kick out, so it is all very well saying how you should or should not behave in these sorts of situation, until it happens you wont know how you will react. Having the bike and already going at some sort of speed definitely helped the 'fight or flight' option though!

Top Bottom