How to deal with dogs? Or has this guy got issues?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nantmor

I had an Inspecteur Clouseau moment once. Riding down a country lane this dog kept snapping round my ankles. The bloody woman just stood watching. "If you don't call it off me I will give it a good kicking." "Its not my dog."

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I was riding along a bridleway on my mountain bike when I saw a rambler walking towards me with his 2 Jack Russells running free. Given that virtually every Jack Russell I have ever encountered off the lead has tried to nip me, I anticipated problems ...

CJ: Please, would you hold on to your dogs while I ride by?

Man: No - I have a right to walk my dogs and you have no right to be here!

CJ: Actually, this is a public bridleway and I am allowed here, so please restrain your dogs while I pass you, I wouldn't like them to get hurt.

Man: You have no right to be on a bike on a bridleway, and don't you threaten my dogs!

CJ: Bridleways are rights of way for walkers, equestrians and cyclists and you are clearly ignorant of the law. I am not threatening you or your dogs, I am simply pointing out that I weigh over 15 stone and a big man on a chunky-tyred mountain bike would make a nasty mess of a small dog if there was a collision. I am asking you nicely to hold your dogs for 10 seconds while I ride past - THANK YOU!

Man: I'll do no such thing. You can turn round and go back the way you came!

CJ: Life is too short for this nonsense. Sorry, but I will not be doing a 5 mile detour because of an ignoramus like you. I'll try to avoid your dogs, but if they get hurt it will be due to your stupidity!

I carried on riding and as expected, the dogs ran forward yapping and trying to nip my ankles. One ran straight under my front wheel and almost got crushed. Only emergency braking saved it's neck. And then the other dog sneaked round and bit me! It put a hole through my overshoe but it didn't puncture my skin.

At that point, I started to lose my cool and told the man to leash his dogs immediately or I'd kick the next one to come near me. He just stood there wittering on about how he knew his rights, don't touch his dogs, he'd have the law on me ...

I shook my head, called him an idiot and rode off with the yapping dogs in hot pursuit. :cursing:

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I was riding along a bridleway on my mountain bike when I saw a rambler walking towards me with his 2 Jack Russells running free. Given that virtually every Jack Russell I have ever encountered off the lead has tried to nip me, I anticipated problems ...etc
So you discussed legalities with the chap, asked him on several occasions to control his dogs and informed him of the potential consequences? You then end up getting chased by the dogs, bitten by the dogs, impeded and generally inconvenienced and injured by the dogs, whilst the owner does nothing?
May I suggest you read "Richards Bicycle Book" he has a few tips you may find useful :thumbsup:

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I have my bike pump between my legs on a quick-clip system. It means that I can just unclip it when I need to.
It is in the perfect position to get out and thwack some anckle biting dog whenever I need to.

I think that if I were in CJ's position. I would have lost my cool and got such bike pump and thwacked the owner instead of the dog.

Dan_h

If you can, it is amusing to ride just faster than the dog can catch you, they will sometimes chase you for miles before you pick up speed and ride off. It is hilarious watching the owners running after you and their dog as best they can!

Night Train

Maker of Things
As horrific as the passage reads and as much as I love dogs I have been attacked once by a mad German Shepard that managed to snap its lead after being tied to a bollard outside an off licence.
During the attack my defence was to attempt to kill the dog as quickly as possible to which end I dragged it up into the air by the scruff and tried to kick it in the abdomen, the chest, the throat, I tried to strangle it, I tried to smash its head against the wall, I tried to poke its eyes out, rip its jaws open, dislocate is shoulders and so on.

It only stopped the attack when is owner came out of the off licence and called it off. The pair wondered off as if nothing had happened. Fortunately I was wearing a leather motorbike jacket that took the brunt of the bites. Of the many customers in and around the off licence there were no witnesses and no one saw anyone with a dog.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If you can, it is amusing to ride just faster than the dog can catch you, they will sometimes chase you for miles before you pick up speed and ride off.
This one isn't a Jack Russell, that's for sure, and I wouldn't be laughing if it got close enough to eat my shoe!

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
If you can, it is amusing to ride just faster than the dog can catch you, they will sometimes chase you for miles before you pick up speed and ride off. It is hilarious watching the owners running after you and their dog as best they can!

I was thinking Colin should have tried that.. "Come on fido, follow me... that way your pr!ck of an owner will have to walk miles and miles to find you."

subaqua

What’s the point
[QUOTE 1719448, member: 9609"]Sadly there are people out there who take a great delight in killing and hurting animals, and I guess so much the better if that animal happens to be someone's pet. Cyclist should also be aware how important and loved dogs are to their owners, and any act of violence towards their dog may be rapidly repaid.[/quote]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-17014827

there are of course irresponsible owners.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
3424504532.jpg

From my local paper 2 February. 19 stitches in her face, from minding her own business when along comes a dog off the lead. Someone connected to the case, known to me, claims the owner of said dog has tried both the traditional "It has never done that before" and the blame the victim defences.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Thinking about how to defend yourself or others against a dog attack does not mean you hate dogs. I'm around dogs a lot when shooting but they are all well trained & responsibly owned.

Some of the dog owners round my way think it's OK to let a boxer chase a terrified 6 year old around a field though.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
[QUOTE 1722741, member: 9609"]Unlike the other contributors to this thread who seem to have a more reasoned and balanced approach to defending oneself against a dog, to my mind you and Greg seem to have relished the extreme violence referred to in the original post, and even hinted there would be little wrong in delivering such violence on any dog that is not under the strictest of control. I hope my understanding is wrong.[/quote]

Any violence I choose to dish out to any dumb animal, including of the genus homo sapiens, is in direct proportion to the threat that I consider they represent to my wellbeing and the wellbeing of my loved ones.

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
I was thinking Colin should have tried that.. "Come on fido, follow me... that way your pr!ck of an owner will have to walk miles and miles to find you."
A few years ago I was riding on a NCN path and some old biddy and her turd dispenser were in front of me. The manky little thing was of course off the lead, as I went past the creature ( the old biddy was about 10 yards past) it lunged for my front wheel and then proceeded to snarl, lunge, retreat, snarl , lunge etc... I gave it a blast on the Airzound ( the only time I ever found it usefull) The little maggot levitated 2 feet vertically and swam in mid air, when it hit the ground again it's little legs were still moving and it took off at a rate of knots, peerig over it;s shoulder every few paces. We soon left the zone where I could hear the biddy bleating "poochikins, darling?" , and we continued, me at a reasonable touring pace, the turd dispenser flat out, legs burring, checking over it's shoulder, seeing I was still there and continuing. Eventually ( a mile or so) it tired and dived into the bushes at the side of the path.

Top Bottom