How to deal with dogs? Or has this guy got issues?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
Thinking about how to defend yourself or others against a dog attack does not mean you hate dogs. I'm around dogs a lot when shooting but they are all well trained & responsibly owned.

Some of the dog owners round my way think it's OK to let a boxer chase a terrified 6 year old around a field though.
Outside of shooting I have never met a dog that was well trained.

Bman

Guru
A moose once bit my sister

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
AThe little maggot levitated 2 feet vertically and swam in mid air, when it hit the ground again it's little legs were still moving and it took off at a rate of knots, peerig over it;s shoulder every few paces. We soon left the zone where I could hear the biddy bleating "poochikins, darling?" , and we continued, me at a reasonable touring pace, the turd dispenser flat out, legs burring, checking over it's shoulder, seeing I was still there and continuing. Eventually ( a mile or so) it tired and dived into the bushes at the side of the path.

Literally :rofl:

Glad I wasn't drinking tea when I read that!

Forums are funny old places aren't they. I used to visit a motorhome forum and the guaranteed subject to incite forum violence was children, dog threads were universally gushy. If you ever want to pee off motorhome owners, release your children outside their van with a football. Wanna talk to them, release the dog, simples!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
[QUOTE 1723161, member: 9609"]You certainly talk the big game - which probably means you will be more squeak than squark.[/quote]
A few have made that mistake.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It seems perfectly straightforward to me ...
  • Well-behaved dog attacked by cyclist: unacceptable, and cyclist to blame
  • Small, yappy, snappy dog gently kicked away by cyclist: acceptable, and blame lies with dog owner
  • Small, yappy, snappy dog injured or killed by cyclist: unacceptable overreaction, but blame shared with dog owner
  • Vicious, dangerous dog injured or killed by cyclist in self-defence: acceptable, and blame lies with dog owner

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Small yappy, snappy dog under control, and if it is snappy and yappy this means on a lead. No harm done. No one to blame.

Scales up beautifully as a solution too. Prevention is so much better than cure. Responsible dog owners keep their dogs under control.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
[QUOTE 1723186, member: 9609"]Well one things for certain by and large cyclist do seem to hate the dog owning part of society. Come to think of it forum cyclists seem to be an incredibly negative bunch, I can't think of a subject forum cyclist would become all gushy over. I need to get back to the positive world of hillwalking or I may turn into a proper cyclist[/quote]
Interesting. My father owns a dog. Both my sisters own dogs. My best friend owns a dog. Most of my in-laws own dogs. I love them all, and I'm quite fond of their dogs too. I've dog sat and dog walked for all of them.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I love dogs.
It's just that I hate their owners.

[QUOTE 1723186, member: 9609"]Well one things for certain by and large cyclist do seem to hate the dog owning part of society. Come to think of it forum cyclists seem to be an incredibly negative bunch, I can't think of a subject forum cyclist would become all gushy over. I need to get back to the positive world of hillwalking or I may turn into a proper cyclist[/quote]

I think, to put it in perspective Reiver, that if you met either MacB or Greg out on a walk with your dog, you'd probably all exchange pleasantries, maybe chew the cud and nothing more.

I also think that it's the minority in most things which give us all a bad name. As a dog owner, badly trained pets and dog poo irritate me as much as anyone else. Red light jumpers reflect on us all, out of control screaming kids reflect on all parents and so on up and down the scale of things that we do and others don't. The trick is not to take it personally and just step back.

I know from your posts you're a reasonable bloke, I know from Greg's he is too and I know from MacB's that......OK we'll leave MacB out ;) And as for that Brompton fella........

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I think, to put it in perspective Reiver, that if you met either MacB or Greg out on a walk with your dog, you'd probably all exchange pleasantries, maybe chew the cud and nothing more.

I also think that it's the minority in most things which give us all a bad name. As a dog owner, badly trained pets and dog poo irritate me as much as anyone else. Red light jumpers reflect on us all, out of control screaming kids reflect on all parents and so on up and down the scale of things that we do and others don't. The trick is not to take it personally and just step back.

I know from your posts you're a reasonable bloke, I know from Greg's he is too and I know from MacB's that......OK we'll leave MacB out ;) And as for that Brompton fella........

I'm welling up inside now

OP
OP
Cyclopathic

Cyclopathic

Veteran
This one isn't a Jack Russell, that's for sure, and I wouldn't be laughing if it got close enough to eat my shoe!

I can't help but think if the dog had eaten Kevin Costner we might all have been saved the many awful films he went on to "star" in.
I've never seen American Flyers but after watching two clips am sure that if I do watch it then nothing in it will coma as any surprise at all. It's probably good that I didn't see it because it might have put me off ever getting on a bike.

Top Bottom