How to deal with Dogs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Whyte

Just been watching this, if I was quick enough I`d use Bite Back.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MP0REmadWk

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
I had a farm dog chase me barking the other day. I slowed down, and said "Calm down, alright," in my most authoritative voice. Seemed to work, as it backed off. ^_^ I find the friendly/curious dogs pose more threat to my staying upright. A friendly terrier ran out from a drive once to say hello, and avoided becoming an integral part of my front wheel by about an inch.

Julia9054

Guru
I was sort of chased by a dog a couple of weeks ago. I was riding along minding my own business when as I rode past a house a little terrier came charging out barking at me but instead of going for me it just stayed on the pavement and ran alongside me for a couple of hundred yards before suddenly stopping, turning round and going back home. Once I realised It wasn't going to savage me I thought it was quite charming.
There’s a dog that genuinely looks like a lion that does this with me on one of my regular rides. Fortunately it is fenced in so can‘t actually get me but the first time it happened, I think I must have hit about 60mph thinking it was going to burst out and get me! It’s turned into a bit of a sport now I know the damn thing can’t actually get out.

Last edited:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Another method is to stop and pretend to pick up a stone, a gesture that's recognised by dogs all over the world.

Yes that's a good one that I'd forgotten, but was reminded of by a non UK citizen some time later after the Black dog incident .

If you propose such an idea in Britain, you will most likely get stoned to death yourself by all the "Oh he's only being friendly" dog worshippers.

Sometimes offense is the only immediately available form of self defence..

I had to do it a few times* to dogs in North Africa.. So stone me. :rolleyes:

* My aim is pretty poor though so I don't remember any actually connecting.

Another method is to stop and pretend to pick up a stone, a gesture that's recognised by dogs all over the world.

This was what i did on Sunday morning. Had a collie appear from no where on a hairpin, it just followed me uphill for about 100m and then it started to try to bite my ankles, it seemed like it could resist them going round and around.... lovely looking dog and super friendly but it just couldn't help itself, i think it was trying to heard me up hill:laugh: at first i just didn't want to stop but realised after a few hundred metres that it wasn't going away so i reluctantly hoped off and found a stone by the roadside which i then chucked downhill and into the forest - that followed by a short, fat baldly fella trying to clip in and "drop" a collie:laugh: once he found the stone and saw me by then about 200m away he got bored and didn't follow.

I suppose squirting some water out of your bottle could also work with some ?

Drago

Legendary Member
Your ex dog handler chum should also have told you that when a dog gets in the zone their nervous system switches to a different mode and they won't react predictably. Some breeds and types - for example, pit bulls - are almost always in that psychological model and will not react to external stimuli once they've gone off on one.

The only safe and reliable method of protection is distance, and I can't help thinking you're looking at all sorts of obscure and unreliable methods of protection while overlooking the most obvious and effective one.

OP
OP
VeganWheels

VeganWheels

Your ex dog handler chum should also have told you that when a dog gets in the zone their nervous system switches to a different mode and they won't react predictably. Some breeds and types - for example, pit bulls - are almost always in that psychological model and will not react to external stimuli once they've gone off on one.

The only safe and reliable method of protection is distance, and I can't help thinking you're looking at all sorts of obscure and unreliable methods of protection while overlooking the most obvious and effective one.
No,I'm looking for a bit of quick effect protection that won't harm the Dog.I have had a multiple near misses,chased by another dog only the night before last.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I ride about 3 miles out of my way at times to avoid a farm where the farmer seems to train his dogs to be aggressive. When I noticed this problem on early bike rides, I mentioned it to a sheriffs policeman (equivalent of a gendarme) and he told me that such behavior was not unlawful in the county, as dogs do not need to be tied up outside of city limits. Avoidance adds miles, and is the best alternative. I also have two or three dogs that live at the house of a lady I know from work. They are also in the country. But that situation involves getting tiny graham crackers. They chase me, get the little crackers, go home.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
There’s a dog that genuinely looks like a lion that does this with me on one of my regular rides. Fortunately it is fenced in so can‘t actually get me but the first time it happened, I think I must have hit about 60mph thinking it was going to burst out and get me! It’s turned into a bit of a sport now I know the damn thing can’t actually get out.

I was cycling down a country lane going past a bull in the field. The bull ran along parallel with the road snorting crossly, and occasionally pausing to see if he could push through the hedge. Even though the hedge was between me and him, it was worrying that he could easily run a lot faster in a field than I could cycle on flat level tarmac

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I was cycling down a country lane going past a bull in the field. The bull ran along parallel with the road snorting crossly, and occasionally pausing to see if he could push through the hedge. Even though the hedge was between me and him, it was worrying that he could easily run a lot faster in a field than I could cycle on flat level tarmac

Just imagine how fast he could go on a bike :eek:

Top Bottom