How to deal with Dogs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
The instances you cited are ones of untrained dogs surely if Ms Woodhouse had been involved they would have been trained & not exhibit the traits?

I didn't say Mrs Woodhouse was involved.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I have a sightly different take on this.

In the 1960s I spent a lot of time cycling round the lanes of Norfolk and Suffolk when I should have been playing football and flirting.

My memory is that most farmhouses had a couple of dogs running loose around their gateways. My Dad's advice was to keep pedalling and, if caught, kick out hard.

Now cycling round Somerset's lanes I see very few dogs. A farmer acquaintance says they know a bitey dog will be destroyed.

As others have said the hazard now seems to be in public spaces, and I'm cautious about kicking out now because of possible aggression from owners and possible prosecution.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

I didn't say Mrs Woodhouse was involved.
Okay, in which case referring to them as a "Barbara Woodhouse Experience" is even more illogical, but hey it's a free world (currently) you have a good rest of your day.

Jameshow

Veteran
Quite a lot of love for dogs around here..... not!!!

Perhaps one should meet a retired guide dog or two...

I hope you don't have a burglar take a visit to your house and a police dog handler appears...

D

Deleted member 26715

It refers to people who think they are Barbara Woodhouse
Okay I'm still struggling, ROFL it just seems bizarre to me to mention a dog trainer in an instance where the dogs aren't trained, but each to their own
Quite a lot of love for dogs around here..... not!!!
I think you are wrong there, I've had dogs all my life, in fact these last 18 months without one is the longest I can remember, the issue is not the dogs, it's the owners, they forget dogs are simply that, dogs, they are not little humans, they are not baby substitutes, they are pack animals & will try to be the dominant in the pack.

presta

Guru
Our dog would do exactly as she was told, until she saw a squirrel......fortunately she seemed incapable of doing any harm to anyone / thing.

A heck of a lot of pet owners are stupid. Its not even a danger thing, its a courtesy thing. Just because its a public park does give you the right to let your dog walk through someones picnic.

Ours was well trained, my mum used to do a lot of obedience shows with her, but my point is that she understood single word instructions, not phrases like "Don't cross the road on your own Fido, wait for me".

D

Deleted member 26715

On a lighter note....if thats ok ...I once had to abandon a watercolour I was doing , mid - ride break time....when a dog came and drank my water jar dry !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bad owners again, not looking after their dogs needs

Top Bottom