How to deal with Dogs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I was cycling down a country lane going past a bull in the field. The bull ran along parallel with the road snorting crossly, and occasionally pausing to see if he could push through the hedge. Even though the hedge was between me and him, it was worrying that he could easily run a lot faster in a field than I could cycle on flat level tarmac
I once had experience of an Aberdeen Angus bull that suddenly decided it did not like humans for no apparent reason. We were trying to corner it and it got away and jumped over a wooden gate which must have been nearly 5 feet in height. It had short legs and the dead weight was 30 cwt ie one and a half tons. That gave us quite a shock and reminded us that bulls can be unpredictable and dangerous even when previously docile.

DSK

I never know if they want to innocently chase or eat me. Never had any issues on the bike as when I'm out so are the early birds walking their dogs. Only every had the occasional issue with stray dogs on their own when I used to go running. Getting chased down and sprinting for my life, jumping fences and garden walls that would put me in the running for the next Jackie Chan movie.

I would say the best solution here is, change your route or, learn to understand dog behaviour or, a zillion watt Ebike build :bicycle:

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Minor bump by modern standards. I’ve been on holiday in very rural Brittany this week and managed a few loops around the local area. Using this power plot of the ride, can you spot the moment I encounter a particularly irascible farm dog?

1661511110753.png

davy

I had one old guy tell me 'oh he doesn't like bikes'. I didn't go so far as saying maybe it should be on a lead then.

thats exactly what me biting dog owner told me........AND the police told me that putting the bike between us was NOT the thing I should have done , apparently I should have stood still and let the mut enjoy his meal !!!!! go figure

davy

Any suggestions please?
I have considered carrying a can of Pepper spray,even though they are not legal in UK.
I live in very rural area & where most people make their livings from Farming.
I encounter dogs most rides at some point,tipping point was this Sunday chased by two collies,a springer & then almost forced to ditch with a large Alsatian charging towards me.
Animal lover & don't want to harm the dogs,as it's owners that are at fault for letting their dog's roam free.

I today found Von Wolf website and have ordered a legal - so i am told - K9 spray ...a great site great for "us"

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Oh timely resurection.

Had the horrible interaction again today (bastard big devil dog attacking a spaniel on a lead), leaving out the other month's encounter with me removing Terrier from a cat in my freind's house (my thumbs in it's throat, and WTF I could have lost my face).

PS, before I start the rant, I love dogs, I've participated in ownership, but because I work outside of home all day, we have cat ninjas. THERE IS A KEY POINT.

A day ruined for me, 7:15 am in a Local Park. More later....

presta

Guru
It's the ones on a shared cycleway that will tell Fido..

"Come on Fido, get out of the way"
Walking along the pavement here, there was a woman in front of me, and a dog off the lead running ahead of her.
"Don't cross the road on your own Fido, wait for me" she said, as it dashed across the road and into the park opposite.

Drago

Legendary Member
Ive gone to a lot of effort to train Bruce to be word obedient, and it really bbols my wee wweewhen arrisholes let their bad,y behaved sheetbag dogs run riot to attack my sweet boy.

Told some old git last week that if his dog goes for mine again I'll go for him, see how he likes it. He doesn't make eye contact when he sees me now, thoughtless old giffer.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Walking along the pavement here, there was a woman in front of me, and a dog off the lead running ahead of her.
"Don't cross the road on your own Fido, wait for me" she said, as it dashed across the road and into the park opposite.

That's what I like to call "The Barbera Woodhouse Experience"

There's quite a few on my route, who think that their dogs take any notice of them.

One lady points at her dog to go left, only for the dog to go right - every time.

Then there's the bloke who's trained his dogs to lie down when he blows a whistle, only for them to stand back up and chase you, as you pass.

D

Deleted member 26715

That's what I like to call "The Barbera Woodhouse Experience"
You do realise Barbara Woodhouse was success at training don't you? It is often more the humans than the clever dogs.

T4tomo

Legendary Member

Our dog would do exactly as she was told, until she saw a squirrel......fortunately she seemed incapable of doing any harm to anyone / thing.

A heck of a lot of pet owners are stupid. Its not even a danger thing, its a courtesy thing. Just because its a public park does give you the right to let your dog walk through someones picnic.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom