How to deal with Dogs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
VeganWheels

VeganWheels

I would disagree, and i'm sure you would too if someone ever sprayed you with one. They can be nasty bits of kit in the wrong hands, and I'm quite glad that not every Tom, Dick or harry can get their grubby little mitts on such things in the UK.

This country is bad enough with a public that doesn't know how to behave itself, confrontations, Friday night fisticuffs and road range, and it would be a nightmare if CS, pepper or electric shock devices were chucked into the mix.
True I suppose.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
What about a rape alarm?? -
But I don't really know if the sound would antagonise an angry dog more or make it go away.

I've usually found that a few snarled expletives in my best 'gruff farmer' voice, does the trick, and they back off.

Maybe you just need to channel your inner 'Ed Grundy' ^_^

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
With most dogs, staring it down, pointing to where it appeared from and saying, in your most commanding voice, "BUGGER OFF HOME", or words to that effect, normally works. For something obviously more aggressive and/or very large, get the bike in between the two of you.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just slow down or put the bike between you and the dog. TBH, only ever encountered one dog that was going to eat us - I've never accelerated so fast up a hill.

Most issues I have are the gormless owners. I anticipate the dogs to wander all over, but then the flipping owner does it as soon as you alert them you are coming. Don't get me started on gormless owners who are on an extending lead ^_^. Please don't use them on a busy shared use path - make sure the dog keeps you on a short lead please.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I used a tip from cyclists who've toured places like Africa where dogs are used as guards

Get off the bike, put it between you and the dog and shout loudly in an assertive manner. The bike acts as a psychological barrier (for the dog) and the shouting let's it know who's in charge.

It worked. This was around midnight on a country road with a barking alsation. It dropped its tail and started walking away from being a metre away from the bike.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Just slow down or put the bike between you and the dog. TBH, only ever encountered one dog that was going to eat us - I've never accelerated so fast up a hill.

Most issues I have are the gormless owners. I anticipate the dogs to wander all over, but then the flipping owner does it as soon as you alert them you are coming. Don't get me started on gormless owners who are on an extending lead ^_^. Please don't use them on a busy shared use path - make sure the dog keeps you on a short lead please.

It's the ones on a shared cycleway that will tell Fido..

"Come on Fido, get out of the way"

Unfortunately, poor Fido, not being quite as zingingly bright, or 'understanding every word his owner says' isn't always too certain where the way is, so just scuttles about confused from side to side.

Thereby being more 'in the way' than he was before..

Such cyclisme larks :rolleyes:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I can say with some authority that shouting at some dogs in an assertive manner does sweet f all. And these are dogs that know me and know the consequences of crossing me.
If the dog comes across as or is aggressive, leave. Pronto.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I would disagree, and i'm sure you would too if someone ever sprayed you with one. They can be nasty bits of kit in the wrong hands, and I'm quite glad that not every Tom, Dick or harry can get their grubby little mitts on such things in the UK.

This country is bad enough with a public that doesn't know how to behave itself, confrontations, Friday night fisticuffs and road range, and it would be a nightmare if CS, pepper or electric shock devices were chucked into the mix.
As they are in the States, most dangerous in the hands of the police at a "riot"AKA lawful assembly. The examples in recent crowd/police and crowd on crowd confrontations should be evidence enough that pepper spray does not work, nor does it achieve the desired effect, it is just another way to assault something you disagree with. A water bottle spray can be more effective. A dog has a limited attention span, depending on breed and disposition. I have one dog who, in a confrontation with a opossum, will just leave when it plays dead. The other, though smaller, is more aggressive, and simply sits down, crosses her paws, and waits for the opossum to stir again. I have to then pick her up and carry her into the house, or this would go on all night. But it is the dog with the shorter attention span that also hates bicycles, even though he has been around them and raised with them since his puppyhood.

. The other, though smaller, is more aggressive,
Sometimes the case.
Like people :smile:
I was chased by two dogs on a rough dirt track in sardinia.
Though the surface was rough I tried to outrun them but failed.
One of the dogs was a bit of a big brute but gave up after a bit of playful running.
It was the small rat of a terrier which was never going to kill me which nevertheless decided to bite my ankles for no good reason.
I had to go and have a precautionary jab.
Beware small people and small dogs.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
The late Richard Ballantine had a few suggestions, already covered in this thread, luckily I've never had to resort to his more extreme methods...

Yes i remember reading about those, some time back in the Triassic period.

Not a dog fan, I don't think.

There were a few techniques that weren't really very 'vegan' friendly.

You almost got the feeling that the publishers had edited out the bit where he went on to say :-

"Then eviscerate and skin said miscreant, and wear his flayed pelt as a valedictory cycling cape.." :rolleyes:

Top Bottom