How to deal with this roundabout

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've often thought I would like to get a traffic engineer to come out and ride with me, and see how they felt on the bits I consider slightly hazardous.

I think most people on here would be too good for most traffic engineers, we'd actually get round some of the obstacles despite the design flaws. My mother's approaching 80, and has cycled for most of that time and still does on a daily basis, but I'd hate to think she had to tackle the junctions and roundabouts we could all list.

It'd be someone like her that I'd like the engineer to explain themselves to and demonstrate how they expect here to use a road she's entitled to use.

On a loosely related note, we've a major road allegedly being altered at some point, and various schemes have been proposed.
It's a trunk road to the docks, but gets congested and generates pollution levels in excess of the standards.

A significant proportion of the congestion is local traffic using the trunk road. Many of these people will be making journeys of 5 miles or less, but there's no cycling facility in the new scheme. They haven't even looked at improving the cycling facilities on other roads as a congestion reduction measure.

Is it me, or is there an elephant in the room?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
One roundabout I avoided for ages but I'm fine on now- St James Barton (bear pit), frequently pops up on horrid places to cycle lists. And it's right next to the main shopping area so will be a barrier to some considering cycling into town.

OP
OP
B

BrynCP

Über Member
When I saw that first time, I hadn't realised where it was. I've crossed that a few times.

I would enter on the right hand lane, as you would in a car, then, once past the Bilton exit, signal left and look to change lanes. Someone let's you in, or there's a gap, but I take the lane until I can move over.

That is what I tried the first time I encountered traffic, unfortunately not one car let me in! As it's flat, I can ride at about 23mph but I can't push much harder as this roundabout is always nearer the end of my journey, usually coming back from Hornsea and Aldbrough.

If you like a challenge, have a bash at the Dunswell Roundabout. I'm not sure how to link maps, so I hope this works.
I live near that and 90% of my journeys start out that way, but I am typically going north to Beverley, and not east towards Kingswood. I cannot even stand driving that roundabout as people just pull out in front of you often forcing you as a driver into the outside(right) lane exit.

I stick to the cyclepath, but I would go clockwise so use the west path and follow all the way around, as you say you cannot see a thing trying to go North on the east cycle path. Similarly, going South from the North, although you have 100% visibility on the cycle path, you never know if drivers in lane 2 on the roundabout are going right to Hull or straight on to Kingswood as you can't trust they're indicating intention. It's no exaggeration to say on occasion it has taken more than 5 minutes to cross just the one carriageway: typically around a holiday time when people are flocking to Asda.

Don't know if you know the Ennerdale roundabout, but the Ennerdale side cyclepath on there is as bad for visibility if you're continuing towards Sutton I discovered the other day, you cannot see a thing, fortunately though that roundabout tends to be slower though and ridable, and the cyclepath is full of glass at the minute.

So much for my observation skills, I've never noticed there was an east cycle path. lol.

As for you roundabout, if the didn't let me in, I'd shrug and keep the outside lane. My view is, it's the other drivers holding up the traffic in that situation. If I was in the car behind, I'd signal left, change lanes and let you in. But then I'm nice like that.

Top Bottom