How to fit N+1 bikes in a shed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You only ask for a cup of sugar if you get caught. Classic euphemism.
I felt very guilty for thinking that when she said it! :okay:

She told me that everyone in the street used to know everyone else. They all worked in the mill at the end of the road. By the time I moved there things were very different - residents commuted to Leeds, Manchester, Burnley and so on. I lived 2 houses from the old woman for over 10 years before we finally spoke to each other.

In the early days, all the houses had outside toilets. Mine had been demolished but those still existing could probably store a couple of bikes vertically once the WC had been removed.

KneesUp

Guru
I wouldn't put my bikes in a shed here either but our Cumbrian hosts said that there wasn't a crime problem in the area.

We got a key to our room at one B&B but no front door key. When we asked for one we were told that the front door has not been locked in over 30 years!

When I lived in Hebden Bridge I got chatting to an 85 year old woman in my street. She was saying how sad it was that people felt that they had to lock their doors now. When she was growing up there neighbours used to just walk in whenever they felt like it to ask for a cup of sugar etc.
It was the sugar-theft that led me to start locking the door.

OP
OP
gaijintendo

gaijintendo

Veteran
I felt very guilty for thinking that when she said it! :okay:

She told me that everyone in the street used to know everyone else. They all worked in the mill at the end of the road. By the time I moved there things were very different - residents commuted to Leeds, Manchester, Burnley and so on. I lived 2 houses from the old woman for over 10 years before we finally spoke to each other.

In the early days, all the houses had outside toilets. Mine had been demolished but those still existing could probably store a couple of bikes vertically once the WC had been removed.

Disguise shed as toilet eh? Another good suggestion.

bigjim

Legendary Member
I wouldn't put my bikes in a shed here either but our Cumbrian hosts said that there wasn't a crime problem in the area.

We got a key to our room at one B&B but no front door key. When we asked for one we were told that the front door has not been locked in over 30 years!

When I lived in Hebden Bridge I got chatting to an 85 year old woman in my street. She was saying how sad it was that people felt that they had to lock their doors now. When she was growing up there neighbours used to just walk in whenever they felt like it to ask for a cup of sugar etc.
Yes but they probably had nothing worth nicking in those days. Now we have so much "stuff". Plus there was probably only about 20 people living in Hebden in those days.

OP
OP
gaijintendo

gaijintendo

Veteran
Pedals off two of them. Still takes up as much space, but presumably less gouging going on.

I tried turning a set of drop bars up (rather than sideways) to make some clearance, but it just mangled the cables and seemed to occupy the same space pretty much. Flatbar that I don't use constantly is sideways though.
Some fitted better the same way, some sideways
OH wants a new house for no really good reason... so I guess I get to demand a garage next time... sigh.

Last edited:

User269

Pedals off, handlebars turned. If that doesn't do it, wheels off. Carbon fibre can be left out in the rain where it will either dissolve completely or can be easily folded to the desired size.

Alan O

Über Member
I found something similar as recently as 1980, just after I finished university and went to visit a friend who lived in a village in Devon. And people really didn't lock their doors - I didn't think such a thing still existed.

And they invited me to visit, from Liverpool... what were they thinking?! :laugh:

And another occasion, I was on a long-haul flight back to the UK on Czech Airlines in 1990, just after the so-called Velvet Revolution, and the timings were perfect for me to stop over for a few days in Prague. My travel agent friend told me how to contact someone at the airport to arrange private accommodation (hotels were still scarce, and still the old communist edifices), and I stayed for four nights on the sofa at the flat of a lovely couple (who served me beer with breakfast!). There was no key, they didn't lock the door, even when they were both out at work all day.

It was a truly memorable time, but I couldn't help feeling saddened by my thought that they clearly didn't see the approaching tide.

(Oh, and to be slightly relevant, I was unable to find a bicycle for hire, which would have been perfect for getting round what was then a very laid-back city - I could have bought an old Soviet one, mind)

Last edited:
Top Bottom